Thursday, March 26, 2015

National FBC Day 2015

The best holiday of the year has arrived-- National Friendship Bracelet (Club) Day! Nearly six years ago after creating the FBC, I decided that we should also have a day to celebrate. So every year since we have had a day long celebration in March honoring earthquakes, diamonds, squares, three-braids, sharkteeth and all friendship bracelet patterns. FBC alumni across the country throw a party along with us. 


The day started off strong at HSJH. I was greeted right away by the enthusiastic of Olivia, Sarah, Sydney and Grace. They're avid braceleters and were all excited for the day. Now you may have noticed that my sweatshirt doesn't match the rest of them. I started the day off with the purple FBC sweatshirt from 2009, our very first year. 


Isn't it ironic that FBC has been around for 6 years and I teach 6 periods in a day? So today I changed my sweatshirt every single class so that I could wear all of the sweatshirts. I think everyone has a different favorite which is probably a good thing so we can spread the love around. 

Each passing period I'd tell Mr. Hodgin the girls that stood out from each sweatshirt's year of FBC-- girls like Sabrina Saba, Mikaela Hartman, Malena Bruno, Caitlin Jones, Victoria Vicory and Elise Ruby that span through the years.



Every year I make a big National Friendship Bracelet Day sign and have the girls sign it all day long. It's kind of a yearbook of sorts, a record of most of the girls at HSJH that celebrated today. Each sign is laminated and then hung up in my classroom.


I love that FBC has such a presence at HSHJ. I got to see girls like Reese in class, I say hi to Grace and Kim every time I go into the Teacher's Workroom and Grace, Sydney and Mer come visit me almost every passing period.



Olivia made me this awesome clay masterpiece in art class today. We're waiting for it to dry and then we'll paint it with bright colors and ask the art teachers to fire it for us.


Taylor stops by my room while she's an office aide to say what's up, I got to see Cecilia in the hall and then talked to Emily, Grace, Silvana, Mia and Hailey during lunch.



On my lap through the 8th grade hallway before 6th period I got to see Taylor, Audrey, Natalie, Maddy and Jules-- FBC IS EVERYWHERE IN THIS SCHOOL. I love it.


Finally school was over and we were released to go to FBC. On National FBC Day we always go out side to take a ton of pictures. Though the musical and track took several of our friends away from FBC this afternoon we still had a great turn out.



I love these 7th graders that have brought so much energy to FBC this year. Several of them will be at HSJH next year while I go to FCJH but they are more than welcome to come hang out with us every Thursday.


These 8th graders are ridiculous and awesome and I've loved spending the last two years with them. I'll be sad to have them go to HS only because that means I won't get to see them everyday anymore.


Cecilia and Maddie are kooky. Meredith is a gem and I'm thankful for her goofiness.


I love the major overlap between Wyld Life and FBC and how we're all part of each other's lives in so many ways. Natty B came over to play with us after she finished cadet teaching. Natty's been in FBC since Day 1 and is one of the few to have all 6 sweatshirts with me.


There's never a dull moment on FBC day, especially with Mia, Silvana, Maddie, Cecilia and Mer.


Natty, Julia and I overlap in more ways than probably any one else I know-- both were students in my class, proud members of the FBC, Wyld Life and Young Life kids, they've been to Quilt Camp, and they're both Tecumseh campers and CILTs with me. I love them both more than they know.

Sydney got braces today! She sent me a selfie from the dentist with her new brackets and one with that amazing huge plastic thing that keeps your teeth dry while they glue everything on. She's a rockstar. I think there's a good chance that one day Sydney will be like Natty and Julia, overlapping in all of those areas too.


Courtney and Erin came from the HS too and together we put on the whole evolution of FBC spirit wear. Starting in 2009 we went purple, gray, (not pictured: student leader v-neck), red, navy, Varsity frockets and pink. I wonder what next year will be!




I told the HS girls to walk around and see what all the 7th and 8th graders were working on. I'm telling you people, this is the most impressive year of friendship braceleters you've ever seen. Any of the bracelets that I make, most of these girls can too. They have their own special clipboards and rolls of tape, they've got patterns saved on their phones or printed out and many of them carry around rings of their stockpile bracelets. They're hardcore.


KCraig and Jesse came to play with us on this National FBC Day! She loves all of these Wyld Life kids and FBC girls and I'm so thankful that she makes it a priority to come hang out with us.


FBC wasn't only celebrated at HSJH today but all over the country. Friends set me texts or snapchats and I saw their Instagram posts too.

Cara wore her Varsity frocket to school in Chicago. Katy was, "sick and contagious on National FBC Day with nobody to give bracelets to."


Frances and Ellie represented the FBC at Carmel HS. Tori was creative with all of her string and spelled out our day.


Hallie and Lexie rocked bows and bracelets together at Kokomo HS. Grace is super excited about having a whole new stash of the "good" kind of string.


Ellyn worked on the new 4-square pattern during her lecture at IU. She's going to make a whole bunch of bracelets so she can take cool pictures of all of them together like us.


FBC girls posted pictures from our pictures outside once they got home. Malena moved to North Caroline this year and today she celebrated with a friend at Charlotte Catholic High School.


Sisters Emily and Ava Peterson are total rockstars. They've both been my camper at Tecumseh as Braves, Blazers and CILTs. I love their family and these creative captions for today.


I support Hannah's new rules of FBC but we'll have to remind her that Rule #1 is you can't keep bracelets (because then they would be Yourself Bracelets) and Rule #2 is you can't ask someone for a bracelet.



KCraig's son Jesse got to be in two National FBC posts today with Maggie and Silvana.


Frances' celebrating might have made her go a little crazy today too-- we support that.


I let Mia use me like a jungle gym. Emily Sell and Ava caught a pic right before they left Noblesville HS this afternoon.


Kat came to FBC for the very first time today-- just in time for our National holiday.



We're a little bit rebellious today-- Grace and Mer got on the bookshelves, Hailey and Taylor snuck into my classroom to take their pic.


Taylor Fischl repped the FBC at Geurin Catholic HS. Lulu and Audrey are HYPE because there's no such thing as too much FBC.


Lexie made this totally impressive color wheel set of earthquake bracelets. She's a CILT in Session 2 this summer and planning to give bracelets to all of her adopted campers and counselors.

 

 Lucy, a CILT from this past summer, rocked her friendship bracelets today at Brownsburg HS.
 

Shanztherapper was bursting with FBC love up in Chicago.


Buddy, my friend Molly Henry's puppy, was dog tired after so much National FBC Day excitement. You should give him an Instagram follow @kingbuddythecav and he'll totally follow you back.


Lucy Welch is celebrating IN MEXICO! WE'VE GONE INTERNATIONAL PEOPLE! Emily Harlow is celebrating over at Ball State while enjoying an early Easter Egg Hunt.


On National Friendship Bracelet Day 2015 I made two bracelets, got one from a sweet 7th grader and somehow didn't manage to give anyone-- I'll make sure to do that tomorrow. I got to celebrate with dozens of friendship bracelet lovers near and far. We represented 6 years of friendship bracelet history. Peace, love and friendship bracelets. 


No comments:

Post a Comment