Monday, August 29, 2011

think about such things.

I saw love all over the place today.


Encounter One: When I got to my classroom door Haleigh was there waiting for me with a surprise. She went to Kentucky this weekend on a cheer leading trip. While shopping she ran across a booth that sold animal shirts. You guessed it-- she got me a wolf shirt. And it may not seem like love to you, but I think that this 7th grade girl taking the time to get me a wolf shirt is just so precious.

Encounter Two: Grace accidentally threw away her retainer at lunch today. She realized it on the way back to class and I took her back to the cafeteria to find it. We talked to a janitor and said, "This is Grace, she just threw away her retainer on accident." I expected him to be frustrated or annoyed, because who wants to go dig through barrels of trash? But he didn't even complain once. He said with a smile, "You wouldn't believe how many of these we have to dig out," and then walked over to get us each a pair of gloves. He pulled the trash cans outside and showed us what to do. We had to dig through the stinky trash piece by piece to find this clear retainer. I like to think that I'm not easily grossed out but I have developed this horrible gag reflex. I had to leave pretty quickly because I thought I would get sick, but the janitor and Grace stayed down there until they found it.

Encounter Three: To make my day easier and cut down on my time in the car, Jenna invited me to hang out at her house between school and Young Life. It was such a blessing today to be able to sit down for over an hour. I should do that more often. She let me make peanut butter toast for an after school snack. I almost fell asleep while starting to read the new "The Power of Six."

Encounter Four: My friend Sophie from Hope College is living an incredible story of love right now. I can't stop thinking about her and I can't quite wrap my mind around it. If you've got a couple minutes you've got to read Sophie's story.

Encounter Five: We always sing to start off Campaigners and I love that week after week these kids are so excited to sing. Week after week I am so excited to sing. Week after week God is showing up in these songs.

Everlasting, Your light will shine when all else fades
Never ending, Your glory goes beyond all fame
And the cry of my heart is to bring You praise
From the inside out, O my soul cries out

These words are real and alive. They bring hope and focus and you just want to keep singing them. I love this Heaven Song.

Encounter Six: Mark and Grant and some other YL guys have been spreading love around Carmel by doing things like standing on the corner of busy intersections and holding up giant smiling faces to everyone driving by and dare them to, "smile with your teeth". They've just started a twitter i_dare_you_2 that will give dares of love everyday-- I dare you to hold the door open for the next 10 people. I dare you to throw away someone's lunch for them. I dare you to give someone you don't know a compliment.

Encounter Seven: Tonight's Campaigner sheet was all about joy. I always love talking with these girls in our circle on Mondays because they are choosing to grow and learn and challenge their faith. We loved these verses tonight.

Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. Phillipians 2:1-4

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. Phillipians 4:4-9

No comments:

Post a Comment