Sunday, March 4, 2018

"I love a challenge-- that's why I do lent."

This weekend was a marathon. 

Right after school Friday I went grocery shopping with Wash and Cass for the Lock In. They picked out 20 different kinds of chips and loaded the cart with 6 cases of water and 150 chocolate chip cookies. We took everything to the Barn and set up for Saturday's event-- hanging signs, cleaning things up, sorting bags of fun for all 15 groups, setting up food tables and the sound system, locking away the basketballs and making sure we were ready to go. 

Cass helped me use up some of my gift card stash-- dinner at Detour where we were both so happy to run into our friend Izzy who is back in America. While we were eating, I got a text from Kayla that the wedding invitations had arrived! We canceled our plans for the rest of the night and drove straight to Broad Ripple to pick them up. We made one more pit stop to use a gift card at Graeter's before making it back home. 


They said it couldn't be done, but I addressed every invitation envelope in just two and a half hours that night. I got a hold of Maddie, Cass, Brooke and Shub to invite them to help me stuff, stamp and seal the invites on Saturday morning. In her chapter "Puppies", Shauna Niequist mentions that the small group of girls she used to lead helped her with her wedding invitations and programs. Because of that story, I've always imagined that my girls would help me in this season too.


The rest of Saturday was spent out at the Barn. Leaders gathered early to go over the plan, kids started showing up at 5:45, we partied till 11:00 and leaders were heading home by 11:30. Highlights of the night:

1. Having kids like Emma come to WL for the very first time and totally loving it
2. Watching all of our HS leaders thrive in their role with a small group to lead and watch over for the night
3. Seeing Lauren Nix deliver a Club Talk with a smile on her face the whole time
4. The dance party that never stopped
5. Every kid got a copy of Jesus Calling or the Bible to take home with them-- they learned how to use both books so they can keep growing back at home


Sunday I went to church, cleaned the Barn while the inflatables got picked up, walked on the Monon with KCraig, Alli and a dog, checked out the foundation and lumber for our house, went to the gym, cooked dinner and watched the Academy Awards.


Honorable mention blog titles:
"So you're saying Doritos are good for us?"
"You know what, tonight is about fun! And don't let me forget that I don't like the mints."

No comments:

Post a Comment