Monday, July 5, 2010

for their sake

"When we look back on our lives what we will remember are the crazy things we did, the times we worked harder to make a day stand out...
A good movie has memorable scenes, and so does a good life...
I like those scenes in the Bible where God stops people and asks them to build an alter. You'd think He was making them do that for Himself, but I don't think God really gets much from looking at a pile of rocks. Instead, I think God wanted his people to build alters for their sake, something that would help them remember, something they could look back on and remember the time when they were rescued, or they were given grace."
-A Million Miles In A Thousand Years, Donald Miller (This is one of my favorite books.)

I've been thinking this summer about making those memorable scenes and remembering. My friend Carolyn and I are both keep journals this summer where we try to write a sentence a day- that's helping me remember important things. I carry my camera with me EVERYWHERE and capture everything with photographs or video. I have witnessed some beautiful and hilarious things.

I think it is sometimes too easy to forget things. I don't want to do that. I want to remember the people in my day to day life and I want to put in the hard work to make memorable scenes.

Soak yourself with the hose to be the Gulf of Mexico for opening campfire.


Do cartwheels in main field before lunch.


Dress up like a Lax Bro for a day.


Give a dead mouse a funeral.


Decorate a rock, or find a piece of heart shaped coral, or write on a paper plate and give it to a friend. They'll love it.


We need memorable scenes.
I'm lucky that camp is bursting with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment