Monday, June 20, 2011

Here's the thing

I really, really love being back at Camp T. And you're probably thinking that you already knew that, but I'm just going to tell you a little more about why. 

I love that after being Miss Wright for another year I got to greet more students on check-in day. I love that they thought it was so crazy to be able to call me Sarah but preferred to call me Miss Wright because it was more normal. 


I love being back in the Longhouse with 30 girl campers. I love that they're loud and crazy and kind of nuts and that they always have energy. I love that they've been at camp for years and that they are so excited to be here together, screaming even if they think they've lost their voices.


I'm so excited to be working alongside Mel and Arielle- two women that love camp, love God, and love working with kids. We're together literally ALL the time, Kraft hangs out with us too, and we laugh so much together. A couple campers were asking me about all the CILT counselors I've worked with today. I was telling them about each group and how every year has been so different but so great.


I love taking pictures of these kids living the dream as much as possible. They're getting used to my camera being attached to my hand. I want to make sure that each group of kids has the best time possible.


I love that we're all together for two weeks. The CILT schedule is so different than resident camp so we build relationships with them on a different time frame.


 I REALLY loved playing capture the flag and hearing my name called across the field. I turned around and what do I see but Annie Fazzio and Jules sprinting towards me. They were campers last year and are now on Day Camp staff and are so much fun that they came and colored my binder and sat in on devotions.


It is one of very coolest parts of my job to watch my old campers transition to becoming counselors. I love that they get to take their love for camp and share it with their own campers. They are some of my very favorite people in the world and they are creative and love being goofy and they make up funny traditions and they become friends with people real quick and they embrace awkward situations and they make so thankful that I get to call them my friends.


 I love that Arielle loves her dog Boone so much. Enough said.


Another thing I love? Oh my gosh, there is just so much love in this place. Last week I had to disappear for three days while I was sick and contagious and it killed me to be away and missing out on all the fun. But when I came back on Friday night everyone was so excited to see me- these kids and counselors that make up the camp family- and it was just so fun.


I love closing campfire; the traditions, the creative twists on weekly songs, cheering for kids performing in clinics, being wowed by show choir clinic and how excited Arielle gets when she sees Chief Noonway.


During the rest of the year I get used to driving half an hour to see people, but at camp you cross paths with friends constantly. I love that as I walk with the CILTs I can see the Day Camp staff army and then high-5 my campers and then hug the Shosho counselors and then scream "Hi" to Brunner from across the field. SO much overlapping going on.


This weekend I stayed at camp and worked with the CILTs. I loved seeing them lead chapel, watching them praying for their friends for the first time, laughing at "It's so peppy I'm going to die!" in Despicable Me, being real chill with everyone and laughing with a little girl named Emma.


And come Sunday afternoon we started again. Fresh blue staff shirts, name tags on, and giant smiles to greet a whole new gaggle of children.


Sara and I needed to give our eyes a rest and I want to put on a bandanna so I could be even more of twins with her. I really miss her and her laugh when she's not around and I'm so glad she is working for two weeks this summer.


Only at camp could I spend 25 minutes in a boys v. girls fight with people ranging from 4-24 years old and be so thoroughly entertained.


Here's the thing, we've got eight weeks left and I want to do my best to keep loving every  Carolyn-swinging-a-Brave-girl-in-the-air and acting-like-a-spider-being-whacked-with-a-broom minute of it.


This summer there will be new main characters in my life, new favorite themes and traditions, new ways God will work in our lives, and new stories to be told.


Oh. One more thing. Does anyone know what a Pima is?


1 comment: