Friday, February 9, 2018

"Happy 31! You have more kindness in one finger than most people have in their entire body!"

The 31st birthday celebration started even before the birthday. Justin and I are staying with the Halkyard kids while their parents are out of town and Smelko came over for a Birthday Eve sleepover-- we had a full house. I could barely sleep and when I woke up I could already hear Justin walking around the kitchen. I came upstairs to find him waiting with a sprinkle donut, my favorite vanilla latte, a birthday card and list-- he's awesome. Then Justin made blueberry pancakes, bacon and scrambled eggs for all of us before school. 


In my classroom (school day birthdays are my favorite because you get to see so many more people) I found a letter board birthday message, a second coffee, birthday signs, cards and a balloon-- February 9th is a party. 



Yesterday, Ellie girl came to see me and said, "Surprise-- I'm bringing you a bundt cake tomorrow. What's your favorite flavor?" Hands down, my favorite is funfetti, but we didn't think the store would have that. Little did I know, it was the special flavor of the day!


KCraig came to school for lunch and brought me Chipotle. She ate lunch with the English teachers and then hung out with my 5th period for the second half of their class. Oh goodness do I miss the days when I got to see this friend every single day. I'm extra thankful that I got to be with her on my birthday.


One of my favorite things I did today, and one that I hope to make into a tradition, was reflecting on the last year and making a list of 30 things I did in my 30th year. It was one heck of a year my friends. Looking back, I feel pretty accomplished and thankful for the people and experiences who made it so special. 


Did you know that my birthday is also National Pizza Day? I'm just lucky. Cass showed up to cadet teaching with a pepperoni pizza to celebrate cause she knows what's up. 


It was my first birthday of posts on people's Insta Stories and I felt so loved hearing from friends and seeing old pictures all day long. My friends, CILTies and Young Life girls are each so important to me and I can't imagine doing life without them.






This year's birthday had more time to breathe and rest which I was extremely thankful for. After school I got to go on a walk with Justin in the Halkyard's neighborhood by the lake and we reminisced about the last year. 

Then Katie, Cass, Fudge, Wash, Mal, Gidget and Maddie came over to celebrate my birthday-- they're some of the main characters of my life all year long. We ate pizza and laughed and they made me feel so special. 


We played a game, kinda like Apples to Apples, that my counselor friends made up years. Essentially each person gets a round and on your round everyone writes down the thing that you love the most. Tonight we picked the 1st place answer for 2 points and a runner up for 1 point.


We were laughing so hard we decided to play a second round and changed the topic to what our autobiography would be titled. 


The birthday celebration continued into Saturday morning. Ellie girl invited me to go to Top Golf with her, Sam and Kendall Borgert, Jenna and Holden. These 8th graders are some of the greats and I loved getting to hang out with them.


Saturday was a power day which included seeing Maddie's new house, the gym, writing a letter, returning some stuff, laundry, dinner with the Dewolf girls at Wild Ginger and then watching Sweet Home Alabama with Meric. It was exactly the way all Saturdays should be.


No comments:

Post a Comment