Thursday, February 1, 2018

"How do they do the beef so fast!?"

FIESTA!!!! Tonight Maddie girl, Smelko, Kayla Bacon and I had our own little party at Taco & Burrito and & Cheese Fries Place. It was one of those nights when you reallllly just don't want it to end. I'm so thankful for friends who laugh and talk about fun stuff and important stuff and difficult stuff and silly stuff all in the same conversation. 


I'm constantly encouraged by the mom who runs @thegraygang on Instagram-- she's phenomenal. Today she posted about letting her 4 year old make cupcakes by himself (she helped with the oven and he did the rest) and it connected to a similar sentiment I was feeling as a teacher today. She wrote, "I could be totally wrong- but I think our kids are shaped just as much by the stuff that we don't do than the stuff we do do. Saying, 'I trust you enough to go figure it out,' is one of my staples- and obviously not because I like to see them struggle, but rather because of the glorious upshot. The look of pure pride & accomplishment. A capable child is a confident one." 

Each day I met with a handful of students who want me to tell them exactly what to write in their papers, what to put for their title, what their conclusion should be. But I've got to say, "I trust you enough to go figure it out." And honestly, some of the kids think I'm saying I won't help them when I'm really trying to get them to help themselves. Of course kids will learn about English and Writing in my classroom, but even more importantly I want them to be problem solvers and figure-out-ers because those are skills they can use anywhere the rest of their lives. A capable student is a confident one, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment