Sunday, August 22, 2010

All we need

I hate to forget things. I've developed a habit of taking pictures on a daily basis (it's killing me to not have a camera while mine is being fixed) and writing things down all the time. At church I always keep out a pen and a piece of paper during the songs so I can write down lyrics as we're singing.

When I'm in Indy I go to Common Ground and tonight was the first time I've been back after the summer. I love singing at the church. We started with this song that reminds me of the Hope chapel band,

"I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on
there will be an end to these troubles but until that day comes
still I will praise you, still I will praise you."

And I'm thinking about how true those lyrics are and how similar it is to my favorite song when they start playing it,

"Blessed be your name when the suns shining down on me,
when the worlds all as it should be
blessed be your name...
And every blessing your pour out I'll turn back to praise
and when the darkness closes in Lord still I will say
blessed be the name of the Lord."

That song has been running through my life for the past 8 years. I can recall moments of singing that song with such clarity that it feels like yesterday I was in Willowcreek, the whitetail meeting room during 30 hr famine, in the pine forest during worship in the woods, my first day at Hope in Dimnent with Katie next to me, in the sib pew during the Gathering, and in the Green Cathedral next to Arielle just a couple weeks ago.

Then we sang the song that I remember singing on my last day at Hope. I sat in the back pew with four of my best friends and we just sang these lyrics, believing they were true, about to head out into life post-college and not knowing what was next.

"You can have all my hands can hold, my heart, mind, strength, and soul
be my all, all consuming fire.
All we need is you. Yes all we need is you."

I love that music can take us to a different place and closer to Christ. I'm thankful for the theme running through all of these songs- that when life is wonderful and when life is difficult that God will be there. God will take care of me. God is all I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment