Wednesday, August 11, 2010

wohoo- first day of school!

Today school began in Hamilton Southeastern. At 7:30 this morning the bell rang and 1,000 students poured into the halls to navigate the up and down stairs, sneak past the grim reaper, brave the lights turning off during lunch, figure out locker combinations and find a friend among the numerous faces.
It felt so different than the first day did last year. The greatest blessing today was seeing all my students, the big, bold 8th graders, in the halls. Kids actually stopped to say "Hi" and tell me about their summer and show me that they learned to finger whistle "Crazy Horse" by Train and count to 20 in Japanese and even wrote me a note.
I have 122 students in 6 periods. I have too many Abbys, Sarahs, Rachels, and Jacks to count. I have gymnasts, soccer players, singers, and world travelers. It's going to be a great year.

1 comment: