Thursday, September 23, 2010

I'm thankful

I'm thankful for the real conversations I had with students today. After reading excerpts from Freedom Writers we wrote and talked about people we admire, respecting people different than us, times when we've felt like we didn't fit in and what we want to be remembered for.

I'm thankful for the 74 kids that came to Friendship Bracelet Club today. I love getting to sit with these kids at the end of the day. I love seeing them laughing with their friends, helping each other, singing along together and basically being happy. I wish that I had more time so I could get around the room and spend time talking to everyone and getting to know them better.

I'm thankful that I got to sit outside with a couple girls that I didn't know while we waited for their parents to pick them up. We just talked and they worked on their bracelets.

I'm thankful for my friends Molly, Keefer, and Ellyn. We love Chipotle burritos, fresh guacamole, and cups of heaven from Huddles. I love talking with these friends and hearing their funny stories like a kid that told Molly, "Is that a belt? My Dad has a belt."

I'm thankful for Wyld Life craziness- human pyramid races, pizza delivery races, games involving toilet paper, diapers, Lucky Charms and chocolate pudding. We listened to a leader talk about forgiveness and that I got to watch one of my friends lead a small group conversation. (Sidenote- Did you know that girls speak an average of 20,000 words a day? This probably explains all of these conversations.)

I'm thankful I got to sit on the steps and talk with one of the girls while we waited for her Dad to come pick her up. She is one of those people that SHINES joy, creativity, kindness, and fun. I wish that she could see how great she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment