Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Top 6

I've started thinking about camp (as if I don't do that everyday anyways) because of dinner with camp girls, hearing about two kids that dressed up as camp counselors for twin day and a phone call with a great friend.

Top 6 Things I Miss About Camp Today

1. I love that we eat all our meals with at least 10 other people around one table. People miss out when they don't get that human interaction- never mind that we're eating corndogs, trays of pizzas, and sloppy joes that might not be the healthiest option in the world. Eating family style is good for you.

2. Devotions are the perfect way to end the day. Coming together in a circle with just candlelight, revisiting the whole day, talking about important things, the occasional crying, praying while interdigitating, hugs or high-5s, and falling asleep knowing we'll all be together tomorrow.

3. My friend was telling me that the highlight of her day was talking to a 3rd grader for 10 minutes. At camp we are surrounded by children from age 5-15 all day long for 9 straight weeks. They make me laugh, teach me about my faith, write notes in the sand, never brush their hair, ask tough questions, drive me nuts, give the best hugs, tell crazy stories, make up games like jelly-ball, dress like lax bros, smile constantly, sing LOUD and love unconditionally.

4. At camp all your friends are no more than a village away. Instead of communication via text or facebook we use village to village mail. We talk before chapel, get so excited to see each other when we pass on the hill, teach clinics together and sit on porches long after the campers have fallen asleep . At camp you always greet friends with a hug. Leaving each other for 25 hours on the weekend feels like an eternity.

5. Being 3rd is a way of life. It is normal, expected, celebrated, and anticipated to have conversations about faith and to center your days around the way God wants you to live. We are kind to people because it's just what you do. We love people well. Kids don't have to worry about fitting in- everyone belongs and is part of the family.

6. HAVE FUN is a non-negotiable goal. We try to make every week the best week of the whole year. I understand that it's necessary for us to go to work or school the rest of the year- I support both of those things. But I don't think that having fun should stop. Talk in a weird accent, make your friends sing karaoke in the car, wear overalls on a normal day, draw with sidewalk chalk, take a jumping picture or give a friend a present just because you love them. Do fun things more often.

1 comment:

  1. oh my gracious Sarah. that is just the best.. I think this should go on the camp web site somehow.. You totally captured "camp"!

    ReplyDelete