Tuesday, January 30, 2018

"That was equivalent of saying, 'I'm on a diet,' and then going and drinking a Diet Coke and eating a pizza."

Today I was reminded of how important it is to be weird and how overrated it is to be considered cool. It's the quirky people who have more personality, the silly kids who have fun, the passionate people who spend less time on their phones, and the kind ones who have a whole truck load of friends. 

We took yearbook club pictures this afternoon and I told the FBC gang to be weird (they didn't need much prompting) because that's what I want to celebrate. I'm thankful for girls who are figuring out who they want to be and what they want to be about. I'm thankful that we've got a space for creativity and face to face conversations. 


In this season of life I'm learning to schedule less in my week and to just make it up as I go more often. Sometimes that means I can say, "Yes!" to last minute plans with people and other days it means I get more rest. It's different but it's good. I have to resist the urge to go, go, go and accomplish, achieve, multi-talk all the time.

I was listening to an interview of a YL trainer today who said that every morning she has adopted the habit of sitting in a chair in her living room and drinking a cup of coffee without doing anything else. It's difficult for her and took a couple weeks before she actually sat there and was just still with God. The person who recommended her to try this practice said, "If you can't sit still long enough to drink a cup of coffee than you're probably not tuning in to God enough to be leading anyone else."

No comments:

Post a Comment