Thursday, January 4, 2018

"Culture does not make people. People make culture."

I'M BACK! I'M STILL HERE! This winter break I took a blog hiatus. Looking back, it was so good for me to just let go of daily routines (i.e. blogging) and not be tied down to a schedule for awhile. But have no fear, Lives Overlap will continue in 2018. I'm back to work, back to coffee in the morning, new page-a-day calendars, letter board messages, YL events, pen-pal letters and writing blog pots. 

Here's a quick overview of the last few weeks...

The last day of school ended with an activity period-- all the kids in my building sign up for a teacher's classroom and activity. The girls and Gibby in my room made friendship bracelets and we sat in a circle and talked and it was just beyond perfect. 


Justin and I joined the rest of my family for a week at Crystal Mountain skiing up North in MI. This week is always the longest amount of time that I get to spend with my family all year long and I love it.


Linc and Red were living their best life with 6 adults who wanted to play with them, the snacks of their dreams, Lego's galore and skiing on the mountain.


Both Lincoln and Redford skied with us this year-- Lincoln completely on his own and dominating Green and Blue trails, Redford holding on a ski pole and staying up for the whole run.


Every day was freezing this year, probably our coldest year at Crystal Mountain, so I took fewer pictures and videos than ever before so that my fingers wouldn't freeze holding my phone.


I'm thankful for Code Names, Exploding Kittens and Slapzi, old home movies, laughing with the boys, having Justin with my whole family and being together. 


We visited the Croyt's family on the way back to Indy-- thankful for important conversations, new wisdom and encouragement.


I checked some things off my to-do list like braiding all of the bracelet tails from first semester, end of the year Top 10 Lists, clearing more clutter, delivering yellow signs, finishing "We All Looked Up" and watched a collection of Hallmark movies.


I counted them up and I've got enough bracelets for all of the wedding guests on May 5th! My next task is to make a collection of child-sized bracelets for all of the kids who will be coming. 


I celebrated New Year's Eve at Ben and Sarah Battaglia's with our friends Michelle, Hannah and Riley, Rosie and James. I've been with the Battaglia's or the Rapp's for NYE since 2009 and we've got our own collection of traditions. Hourly reflections questions (i.e. What was an unexpected joy of 2017?), games like Secret Hitler and Quiplash, the greatest snacks (chips and quac, pepperoni pizza, white chicken chili, chocolate chip cookies, lattes, La Croix), and headstands at midnight to start the year with a new perspective.


New Year's Day began frigidly but warmed up a bit when I gathered with Maddie, Meric, Olivia King and Cass. We ate bagels and sat around a table and talked for hours about things that mattered and I didn't want our time together to end.


Justin and I had more adventures-- taking care of the Halkyard's house, CHIPOTLE, donating blood, touring NeuroHope, seeing The Greatest Showman, Christmas with his family, getting back to Northview and LA Fitness and working on some Pre-Marital things for the Croyt's.


EXCITING NEWS!!! We had our final design center appointment for our new house over break-- so many choices, so many decisions, so many things to be excited about. Here's a whole collection of the sample size of things that will be filling our new house-- trust me, it's going to be good. The beginning of May will be a flurry of getting married, moving, finishing up school and preparing for Trippers.


Welcome back friends. I hope today is a great one wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment