Friday, October 8, 2010

CampT meets HSE



This past week my students went to Camp T for the week. I love that our Fall field trip takes us to my favorite place on Earth. Our program isn't like summer camp so it's strange to some things are different. This is Abnaki cabin--except it no longer looks like the cabin where Shelby blared "Lovesick", Annie laughed hysterically while looking for a pinecone, and Katie told the story of "Ok cool, see you tomorrow."

Instead we transform it into our classroom headquarters with supplies for plankton catching, sticks that measure trees, Manuella's story, stopwatches for the Black Hole, tree identification packets, and so many other fun school things. But one thing stays the same from summer to Outdoor Education-- it's all about the kids. (My, that sounds incredibly cheesy. It's true though.)

 

I LOVE that these kids get to be kids here. I was watching them during square dancing thinking about how great it was that they get to just be goofy and not worry too much about how they look, who they're texting, if they have plans for the weekend, if they're talking to the right people. For two and a half days at camp they get to run around, scream often, laugh with their friends, chew gum (this is a big deal for 7th graders), climb Mt. Wood, canoe around the lake, stay in a cabin in the woods, eat all their meals family style, ride the black hole, and not worry about stuff going on at home.


I love being a teacher and I love being a counselor. I'm thankful that the two got to overlap this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment