Friday, October 1, 2010

Where I'm From

George Ella Lyon wrote Where I'm From. Today in Composition we followed her style and wrote our own versions. These are 4 different places I'm from.


I am from duct tape, "The Road to Real", and Diet Coke.
I am from rows of hammocks (swinging, moved every night by Work Crew).
I am from round-a-bouts and neighborhoods connected in a maze.
I am from upfront games and relational ministry, from Scottie too Hottie and Molly too Cool.
I am from one-on-ones and texting during Campaigners.
I am from you were made for this and take a seat, take a load off your feet.
I'm from praying holding hands, a pass around journal and Campaigning for something greater than ourselves.
From 26.3 miles blading with Brown Bear and hours collaging with Fred.
I am from conversations- a thousand words in cars, on couches, and sitting at a table in pajamas using chopsticks to eat slippery, cheesy, gooey, salty, heavenly, squishy noodles while saying the Pledge of Allegiance backwards.



I am from bunk beds, Spread Cups, and jelly-fish yo-yos.
I am from the Kokomo porch where raccoons hide out and the grass that was a blanket for devotions and crumping parties.
I am from TEAM CILT sweatbands, float trip rocks, and the flowers we water with our spit.
I am from Wacky Wednesday, taking initiative, Irving and Manuella.
I am from sleepy Braves making late night laps on the loop and the long line of crying Torchbearers.
From Noonway and hug or a high-5?
I'm from Johnny Appleseed before we eat and singing in the Green Cathedral.
I'm from the beautiful Tippecanoe and meetings at 12:44.
From bug bites, crusty pink eye in the morning, and the broken Annies.
I am from a wall of 8 1/2 x 11s that hold a summer of stories, wrists of stacked friendship bracelets and faded swimbands, and porches of dirty flip-flops that have trod the ancient trails of Tecumseh.



I am from Sammy's sweatbands, Dutch lawn ornaments, and a JPs latte.
I am from the cottage on 13th St (since 1919, mold-infested, haunted by Helen J).
I am from the black squirrels, the Pine Grove climbing tree.
I am from Nykerk v. the Pull, long boarders, the girls you want to marry, Bultman and his ballerina wife.
I am from the orange sweatpant mafia, Kletz lunch on Thursday, and pretending to study in Martha.
From peace be with you and the sanctification of the Spirit.
I am from Sue serving me communion and letters from Despondent U.
I'm from Vanderquad and Dykstra, May term carnie food and Sunday sundaes.
From the secret prayer room and blindly climbing to the roof of the chapel tower.
I am from family lines, wooden paddles, and framed composites- women honoring friendship, love and loyalty since 1919.



I am from quilts, Joy, and pepperoni frozen pizzas.
I am from the attic pull-down door (peeling, creaky, jammed shut with a pencil nub).
I am from the beehive under the play fort ladder and the tree that grew in our living room one winter.
I am from teeth grinders and books on tape, from Lyle and Avis. 
I am from over-achievers and late-night-readers.
From wash the dishes and turn off your light.
I am from Sunday school, 11:00 service, Synago, and youth group.
I am from Crawfordsville and Kendall at Hanover.
From the arthritis in Mary's damn hand and Katie's leg that got run over by a car.
I am from "The Dave Wright Years" chapter of the history book- socks with sandals, pig-tails and glasses- now writing "The Sarah Wright Years"

No comments:

Post a Comment