Thursday, December 18, 2014

Dear Miss Wright

At the end of each semester my students spend a day writing a letter to one of their favorite teachers. I get to deliver their letters to all of the other teachers in the school and I love how excited they get to read what their students have written about them. After five months together these kids can still surprise us with what they think and remember. I wanted to share some of the funny and interesting things some of my students wrote about me.



One memory I will never forget is when we were at Mama Bears for Campaigners and I said, “Let’s go sit with Sarah.” Then Sydney said, “How do you call her Sarah? She’s a teacher, not Sarah.”

I want you to come teach at Fall Creek Junior High next year so I can see you in the halls as an eighth grader. Thanks for being a teacher that inspires me to be my best each day.

You have taught me to have fun in life no matter how old you are. (Not saying you are old!) I love that you do Young Life, FBC and hang out with the younger camp counselors. Thank you for not treating us like little kids. Thank you for that one time we got to skip the 10 Minute Write and watch fun videos instead. No one else would do that. 

My favorite class with you was when we wrote letters to four people we are thankful for. I was almost in tears when I got one from you. Now whenever I feel down I look at it. I love that when you see me in the hallway you say, “Hi Ky.” Is there a way I can stay in your class?

We’ve connected through English Comp, Camp Tecumseh and Wyld Life. You taught me the coolest patterns and how to make the hardcore, because hardcores are just so FAB. Wyld Life is so fun with you like when I had to make a jelly sandwich with me feet. Gross! It’s so cool that we overlapped at camp and now we’re homies. P.s.  Glitter fight—just ponder it. 

The main thing you taught me is that Taylor Swift is amazing. I now am obsessed with Taylor. Thank you for teaching me to smile, be myself, forget the hates and love Taylor Swift.

I remember the day when you had us write compliments to people. That day I made stronger relationships with my mom, dad and my step mom. 4th period is so fun and you always have cool hair.

I like how you are not afraid to be the true you. Like when you get really excited and laugh so hard and get a huge grin on your face. I remember one day when the desks were scooted back and the front of the room was empty. You let people do gymnastics before we started doing our work. One day I want to be a teacher just like you because you interact with us outside of school, welcome everyone, are always happy and want to be friends with everyone. 

A few adjectives I would use to describe you are adventurous, bubbly and positive. I admire how you don’t care what other people think of you as long as you’re having fun. Thanks for not only being my teacher but my homie. Peace out.

Even though you are young you are so wise. I love your braids that you put into a ponytail. You have great style. 

I remember telling my 8th grade dance friends this summer that I was going to have you as a teacher. They told me how much they loved you and your class and all the memories they have with you. The best part is that some of them never even had you as a teacher. They told me you do lots of things like Camp Tecumseh, Young Life and Wyld Life.

The day we were assigned research project I got Marie Curie. You asked why I was so excited and I said it was because I got to research an important woman. You smiled really big and wrote what I said down on a post it note. That was the moment when I was positive this would be my favorite class. I went home to my parents and spouted off miscellaneous facts about Marie Curie and her life. That earned me a strange look but that meant I was embracing the project. 

I’m glad there is someone out there who isn’t trying to rush their life. You are one of a kind and really special. You must have had the best days of your life when you were a little kid at Camp Tecumseh. I don’t know how you do it when all of the kids in our class are asking you questions and some of their questions are really weird. My head would blow up. 

Before I was in this class I was a very reserved person, but you taught me to open myself up because I just might like what I find. People are constantly changing themselves to be more like what everyone else wants them to be. I remember sitting in class one day while we were watching Kid president and having this epiphany that I actually liked who I was.

I will never forget the day in class when we all tried to master a really hard yoga position. It was random but made my day even shinier. Thank you for teaching me that giving is better than getting.

You always have a big smile on your face. It really does help me and everyone else when we’re having a tough day. When I walk in the classroom or see you in the hall you always seem to say, “Hi Rebecca!” it really does make my day.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment