Wednesday, December 17, 2014

"I wanted to be something really intimidating like The Cracker."

I bought this fleece a few years ago at Goodwill. As if finding this beauty isn't amazing enough, I bought it for $5 and then found $7 in the pocket. I'm glad that Taylor decided to dress up crazy today too.


Katy, Rachel, Grace and I met after school for one last fiesta of the semester. I could hang out and eat chips and salsa with these girls everyday. I'm thankful for conversations with them and that they'll take a finals study break to hang out.


We've been having Wyld Life Club on Saturdays this year but this week we threw High School Musical Club on a Wednesday. This would have to go down as one of my favorite Wyld Life Clubs ever. Devoe and I were matching without planning it. Sydney ran over to do our signature pose right away.


Nat Rat (Kelsi), Natty B (Sharpay), Chad (Zeke), Brannt (Troy) and Hannah (Gabriella) nailed the HSM characters. And they've got mad jumping skills too.



We had some members of the Wildcats basketball team show up and they brought all their friends.


I love watching Trulock run around and greet all of her kids. They know that she's so excited to see them.



I have so much fun with these 7th grade girls Lauren, Hannah, Syd, Grace, Meredith and Emily. They knew every word to all the songs and Mer knew every single move.



We hadn't planned on it, but the whole pre-Club time turned into a High School Musical sing along and dance party. I think everyone would have been pretty content if we had just done this the entire night.


I'm so glad that Connor is a leader on the team. This guy is phenomenal and I love seeing him getting to know our boys.


Chad and BGrad are rock stars and these 8th grade boys love them.


I'm such a fan of Rachel, Julia, Cecilia and Natalie. They were going nuts today singing and running around the room.



After a couple songs up front and announcements from Troy and Gabriella we had a karaoke competition.


First the 7th grade boys did a routine to "I Don't Dance" complete with baseball and a choreographed kick line.



The 7th grade girls did their routine to "I Want It All" and Abby's worm was my favorite part. 



The 8th grade boys had the best entrance for "The Boys Are Back" and took on the new name the Cobras. 



Last up, the mob of 8th grade girls did "We're All In This Together" with a few groups of dancers and some impressive lifts. 



We pulled up 10 kids for a hot potato style baby food contest. While the music played they passed the baby food jars in a circle. When the music stopped they had to eat a spoonful of the baby food they were holding. The last person to take a bite, or anyone that refused to eat, was out. We didn't expect that 7 people would quit in the first round.


Just Brooke, Grace and Tanner were competing in the final 3 and then Tanner and Grace in the championship. They decided the winner would have to eat their whole jar of food. They both had a friend come up to help eat the pureed chicken and peas and made some pretty awful faces. In the end we called it a tie and they all went to wash out their mouths.



We tried something new tonight and borrowed an idea from YL Camp. Chad, Natty, Katie and Connor came up front to do a mini-version of Real Life. They each just shared part of their story of what life is like at home for them. I know all four of them and it was still so cool to see them open up and share this part of themselves with all of our Wyld Life kids.


Then Lori talked about home and how she's learned that home isn't about the decorations or the building or even the people-- it's about being centered around Christ. She read us the story of Jesus and told us how God sent Jesus to be with us.


I'm so thankful that Wyld Life gives me the opportunity to build friendships based on faith with my students and Junior High kids. Teaching about English is great, but I know that having conversations about having a relationship with Christ will make such a bigger impact. I'm so glad that God wants to go with us and that I get to go with kids like Sarah, Grace, Natalie and Cecilia in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment