Sunday, September 10, 2017

"I would just need you there like an emotional support animal... except you're a human."

"With" has been my favorite word for years. It's who we're with that makes us love the things that we're doing. It's who we're with that makes important places so special. It's who we're with that makes conversations sacred and challenging and important. I'm so thankful this past weekend was packed with a whole lot of with.

I ate lunch in my classroom with KCraig on Friday when she showed up at school. Because of her new job, we haven't seen each other much and oh man have we been missing each other. She's my person and makes me laugh like very few people do.


I went with Molly Henry to see Home Again at the movies where THEY BRING YOU DINNER TO YOUR SEAT WHILE THE MOVIE IS PLAYING. It was truly magical. Plus, Reese Witherspoon's new movie is a hit that you've got to go see.


Justin and I had breakfast with his family Saturday morning at Flap Jacks to celebrate his uncle recovering from knee surgery.

I got to celebrate Rachel and her baby at a shower on Saturday with friends like Emily, Kath and Paige.

The Young Life Fall Banquet celebrate the past year with our committee, volunteer leaders, a group of our HS kids and a room packed with adults from our community. We got to share stories of how God has been moving and look forward to the year ahead.


For the first time, I got to go to the banquet with Justin who is now an official Wyld Life leader. 




Our HS kids shared their Cardboard Testimonies with the audience-- stories of how God is alive and at work in their stories. I'm so lucky to have a front row seat to so many of their stories.





Justin and I went to Northview for their new Relationship series Sunday morning and then doubled up on church to go to Grace and surprise Alex and KCraig in the front row. Just getting to be with them feels like a luxury right now but it's so, so good.



I went with Justin to the U2 concert downtown and got to be with his old friends Katie and Marcus and run into the whole Halkyard family. I may not be the greatest U2 fan of all time, but still new a handful of songs like, "Still haven't found what I'm looking for," because it's in Runaway Bride.



(Hey look-- the Torchbearers showed up at the U2 concert!)


I'm looking forward to a week of "with" ahead.

Lately I'm loving the Annie Downes podcast and can't help but to write things down while I listen...
"I want God to bloom up stuff in me that will raise up a thousand flowers. I want to plant seeds and water the generation below me."

"I think life is surprisingly hard, and we shouldn't be surprised by that anymore. But if life is hard, we also get to find the beauty and fun. So I'm really intentional about it. When I wake up I think, "Ok, what's going to be fun today?" The hard stuff and the difficult things and the challenging choices will all show up on their own, so I'm going to seek out the fun. And seeking out the fun can really help bring you closer to God too."

"Everyone should enjoy life without a specific purpose around it sometimes."

"It is freeing to know why we do what we do."

"When empathy is present, apathy cannot exist."

Wisdom via Smooney:
"Never interrupt a face-to-face conversation to answer a text unless it is a family emergency, a previously scheduled appointment, or you are in the 7th grade." -J.D. Greear

No comments:

Post a Comment