Thursday, September 14, 2017

"Kale tastes like paper, but in a good way. Yeah, it tastes like paper towel... but I like it."

One thing to know about me: I LOVE birthdays.

I love my birthday. I love celebrating other people's birthdays. I love mailing birthday cards. I love birthday posts. I love birthday cake. I love every last bit of birthdays.

I think every single day is worth celebrating but we should all probably just stack hands and agree to celebrate the heck out of birthdays. Are you with me?

Birthday Phase 1
Today when Cass showed up to cadet teaching my 6th period kids sang Happy Birthday to her (maybe in the quietest voices at the slowest temp you've ever heard, but they did only meet her yesterday). I strung up birthday signs and had cards from her brother and Wyld Life girls.


Lucy and Holdie signed out to SOAR at the end of the day so they could party with Cass. Cass headed home, but FBC partied hard. We had nearly 90 girls today (deep breath) and we played Cups! and worked on making the V. I couldn't handle this many girls the whole year, but for right now it's real fun.


Birthday Phase 2
Johnna, Morgie, Mal and I picked up Cass from her house in the mini-van (she only thought I was coming). We surprised her with a culinary trip to the one and only Taco & Burrito Place.



The only thing better than a birthday party is probably a birthday fiesta. It was a good time with lots of laughing, dancing and sharing what we love about Cass and what we think it means to be 18.


Birthday Phase 3
Mal and I drove Cass to Maddie's house where she was surprised by Maddie, Olivia, Gidget and Katie. We had pizza on the porch, kale caesar salad and zebra cakes (Cassidy's fav). It was a mini Pits reunion (Meric and Jayla you were missed!) and we were right back laughing like we did at TWL.



Birthday Phase 4
Maddie took us out on her family's boat on Geist at sunset. Oh my, talk about beautiful my friends. I often forget that Fishers has a lake because I don't drive by it often, let alone live on it. But tonight felt extra special and celebratory.



I hope that we are always intentional about loving our friends well-- on their birthdays and all the other days. Friendship is one of the best gifts we're given here on earth and we'd be fools to not embrace it.



Cassidy Lea Ogan,
Thank you for being unique. For thinking outside the box. For knowing what you want and going after it. For showing up for your people. For appreciating the underdog. For loving people with your words and your actions. For being weird. For always being down for a dance party. For living out your faith. For your character and heart.





Birthday Phase 5
Cake and the funniest card that you ever did see. The only thing better than birthday candles? A zebra cake topper. Here's to year 18 Cass-- you're going to live it well.



Honorable Mention Blog Titles
"Cass, you're dreamy."
"Diving lessons are like $100 a week. But it's ok because we're going to go to the Olympics."
"Wait. Do I have to wear my shoes on the freezer?"

No comments:

Post a Comment