Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Highs of My Camp Day

1. Baked oatmeal. Holy cow it really is so good and perfect on a cold Fall morning like today.

2. Watching eight parents shoot at the archery range this morning for about 45 minutes. They were each so into every round and proud of every shot they got close to the bullseye.

3. Talking in a British accent with Jamie and Caroline and telling her she should apply to be a counselor next summer. Talking to Meghan, an old camper, about applying for staff. Getting to hang out with Jamie while we watched the HS kids plan their skits.

4. Hiking all over the LV and through the Oak Forest. I miss being outside like this. I love not driving at all. I love being in the sunshine instead of just seeing it through a window.

5. Meeting a girl outside of the Trading Post that told Joy, Jamie and I that she used to go to camp in the summer. We of course got really excited and asked what cabin she was in. "Uhhhh... I don't know. The one I'm in now?" So we asked if she remembered her counselors. "Uhhhh.... I think one had brown hair and one had blonde hair." We're all laughing at this point because she remembers SO much about the best week of her life. We asked if she was a Blazer and what color her unit t-shirt was. She had no idea what we were talking about. At this point I told her I thought she was confused and maybe she really didn't come to summer camp. To this she responded, "Uh-huh. I did friendship bracelets.... and crafts.... and volleyball." We asked her if she did the Women of the River cheer. She didn't know what it was so we demonstrated and she looked at us like we were crazy, "No, I never did that." The conversation continued for a few more minutes as we asked questions and she tried to answer and I couldn't stop laughing.

6. Joy and I were entertained by the Gleason children at dinner. We served out all the ingredients for tacos. Reagan piled the beans on her tortilla after she couldn't get any sour cream in the kitchen. Next Braden tried to get sour cream. He came back with a little tub of cream cheese. We tried to explain they were very different but he didn't believe us until he put cream cheese all over this taco and took a bite. Reagan and I then made dessert breakfast tortillas with cream cheese and sugar.

7. During dinner nominations Kip was brought back up onstage to do his broccoli dance. He couldn't stop with just one performance and busted out his Justin Bieber act complete with dance moves and a hat toss. Everyone in the audience joined in on the chorus of Baby. It was probably one of the best moments of his life.

8. One of the Crazy Olympics games involves locking a kid to a chair with a long chain while their teammates search for the correct key in a bucket of corn kernels. When Jordan, Jamie, and Chris brought back a Blizzard for me they decided to try the game out themselves. For the next ten minutes they practiced the best ways to effectively lock each other up.

9. Joy and I decided Crazy Olympics needed some background music so we turned on Friday. Naturally that led us to sing all of the Session 1 CILT cheer. Which naturally led to the cheers of Session 2 and 3. Some of my students were very entertained watching their teacher.

2 comments:

  1. I think some of my teens from church are counselors with your school group! I hope you get to meet them!

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Talking to that girl, seeing Maddie and Rachel, get locked up in a chain - and then easily getting out because it didn't work...again, and talking in a british accent with one of the counselors for an entire conversation and then continuing it while we are are sitting watching the counselors get nothing accomplished in their skit meeting. Some great memories were made that week :) So glad I got to hang out with you for a little while.

    ReplyDelete