Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Ordinary joy

Yesterday my kids wrote about things that bring ordinary joy, things you might normally overlook or quickly forget about when you're just hurrying through the day. They're perceptive little 7th graders and I loved hearing what they wrote about. Today I was on the lookout for ordinary joy.

A girl I don't know came into my classroom this morning and said, "It smells really good in here." I told her thank you and asked what it smelled like. She looked thoughtful  for a second while she thought through the possibilities, "Hm... It smells like happiness!"

Our conversation in the teacher's lounge has been really funny the last few days. Over Styrofoam bowls of chicken and noodles and mashed potatoes we laughed and told stories and I was so thankful to work with these women.

My students were awesome today. We learned about taking notes and citing sources, not the most exciting stuff in the world, but we made it fun and they did a great job of listening. Today I was really thankful I'm a teacher.

Two of my good friends announced their engagement tonight and we're all so excited for them.

I road tripped with Rach, Emily, and Comie tonight for a little adventure. We stopped at Arby's for dinner-- there are few food combinations greater than curly fries and Jamocha shakes.

Extended time with my friends tonight was perfect. Today Kelle Hampton wrote on her blog,

"We'll talk on the phone and say things like "Girls night next week, right?" and we answer, "Absolutely, can't wait," but next week means nothing unless it has a date on it. Unless it's been typed into a phone calendar with an alarm the day before and a back-up alarm the day of. Time with friends is worth the effort of purposely planning dates. Better yet, make a reoccurring plan and stick to it. Every Sunday morning, I have coffee with my friend Wylie. It is a given--something I look forward to all week. Tuesdays are lunch with my friend Andrea after ballet and Fridays are afternoons with Dot. We do our best not to cancel, and when we have to, we feel the loss. If we can make time to show up for doctor appointments, hair cuts and ballet class, surely we can pencil in a good renewing moment with friends." 


I want to make people a priority over the other stuff when I can. To choose going to dinner with a Young Life girl over going for a run. To go on a road trip on a school night with my friends instead of doing laundry and cleaning the apartment. To stay up a little later to have a heart to heart on Skype instead of going to bed on time. It's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment