Wednesday, October 5, 2011

"Woah... My English Comp teacher sounds exactly like that girl." "Hey Jackson- I am your English Comp teacher."

You know you're at camp when you start the day with an FBC sweatshirt, Nike shorts, a potholder headband and a Diet Coke. 


You know it's a good day when you get push-pops for lunch. And no one was there to argue the push pops v. turbo tubes fight with me so I yelled both things.


At 11:00 today the school buses rolled in to drop off the Session 2 kids. 15 minutes later when they finished their chicken nuggets and curly fries, the Session 1 kids got back on those same buses to head back to school.  The great switch-over which marks our halfway point of the week.

I was SO excited because this group of High School counselors brought three of my favorite kids:

Miya was the first HSE kid I ever met a few summers ago when she was in my friend Arielle's cabin. She always has a smile on her face and is so full of energy. She is going to be Session 2 CILT this coming summer.

Maddie is a hipster and so comfortable in her own skin. I met her a few weeks after I met Miya. Her locker ended up being across the hall from my classroom door my first year as a teacher. She will be in CILT Session 1 this summer.

Madison rocked her wolf shirt all day long with me. She was in Session 3 this past summer and is now a regular visitor of the Friendship Bracelet Club. I love her resilient positive attitude and am so excited that she'll be here for three days.


Madison brought her CILT binder and we looked through all the pages. We howled a lot today and did the CILT cheer. Sitting on the front porch seemed like a really good idea during rec time when we just talked about CILTs and how we miss everyone and can't wait to see them soon.


More camp kids came to dinner and out to play today. Man I love these girls a whole lot. They drew trees and collected acorns and watered sticks. Such camp kids.


My big project this year at camp was figuring out the logistics of a 280 person game of Capture the Flag. It includes four territories, face paint, pirate flags, duct-tape toilet paper rolls, buckets and a bell. Tonight's game, round two of the week, was such a success. There were multiple mass invasions and major alliances.


I rotated through all four territories the whole game checking to see who was ahead and reminding them about the rules of guarding their flag. Every team was cheating which I expected with so many kids. With everyone cheating it kind of made it fair again. A 7th grade boy later explained to me with much enthusiasm, "I JUST REALIZED SOMETHING! I realized that cheating can actually make things MORE exciting." Interesting theory... Regardless, the game was a great success. 

1 comment: