Monday, October 10, 2011

This is what happens when I don't blog for three days...

The buses rolled out of Camp Friday afternoon and I rolled back to Indianapolis. It had been awhile and although I didn't miss the highways or busyness of the city I did miss the people that live there. It was good to be back. I found all of these letters when I walked in the door--thank you Kathleen, Margaret, Katie and Shannon. Nothing like some colored envelopes, top 10 lists, and updates on life.


Rachel, McSoley and I headed downtown to meet our friends Chrissy, Grace and Ariana for dinner. We laughed and people watched and told stories and spotted the Colts new quarterback and laughed more until we had to leave.


A spontaneous trip into Circle Center mall made five of us end up buying the exact same dress. It's a really good one, the magical black dress that looks good on everyone.



We went on a late night walk because McSoley is kind of obsessed with walking. Then I convinced everyone to go to Brics for ice-cream because I'm kind of obsessed with ice-cream.

Saturday morning I got to eat breakfast with Hannah, one of my Senior Young Life girls. I've known Hannah for a couple years now and the more time I spend with her the more I love her. She is smarter than she realizes even though she is still figuring so many things out. I admire how she wants the best for her life and she's willing to make difficult decisions to live a life she is proud of.

Saturday was the Grand Opening of The Container Store in Indianapolis and Molls and I had been counting down the days.
Oh my gosh we're so excited to walk into The Container Store

We spent a good hour inside exclaiming things like, "Look at all these containers! This is SO cute. What's this for... I don't know but I love it! Bubble wrap! Little boxes! Look at all this wrapping paper. Tie hooks! Hampers!"


The store just went on and on and we had to look through every aisle and corner of the store. It was more fun than we had even anticipated.

Top 10 Reasons We Love The Container Store:
1. Everyone is so excited and nice because it's the Grand Opening
2. Everything comes in multiple and fun colors/patterns
3. There are containers for EVERYTHING
4. You can find stuff you don't even know you need... but you really do


5. They have really perfect notepads for my teacher desk and notepads are basically containers for words
6. There are fun things for people of all ages like pig trash cans for kids and spice racks for old people
7. They play really peppy music and have balloons and free popcorn so it feels like a party


8. Molly now has a place to go college shopping
9. You walk around in disbelief and utter bliss going, "Wow! Look at this! Oh my gosh."
10. Its a heaven for organizational people like us that like to clean and organize for fun

After leaving we decided everything should be like The Container Store to make the world less confusing. We should have The Book Store and The Clothes Store and The Gas Store and The Mattress Store and The Diet Coke Store.
Next destination with Quilter's Plus to find fabric for Molly's first quilt. She's going to come help at the December Mother Daughter Quilt Camp and learn how to make her own. It's a pretty big deal.

We made a giant stack of all the Amy Butler and Kaffe and Moda fabrics we loved.


The funniest part was talking to Cheryl and Susan while they cut our fat quarters and folded it all up into beautiful little piles for us. Cheryl told Molls her new Quilts Plus bag made her a bag lady. When we thought that was funny she said, "You're going to get hooked." Molly said, "Yep, I'm going to be a quilter." "Well then if you get hooked on rughooking you'll be a hooker."

Saturday night Alli Kenney took us to Pizzology- her place of work and favorite pizza. Molly and I weren't feeling very adventurous so we stuck with pepperoni pizza with roasted tomatoes and Pizzology's special breadsticks. It was a positive experience, we'll be back again.


We went to see "What's Your Number?" and were pleasantly surprised that it was funnier than we expected. "I married a scientist too... He doesn't look smart either... My sister's here with me because he's in the North Pole... Working on the ice cap thing... He's probably going to fix it."

Then we had the pleasure of spending the rest of the night with the one and only Colleen Kelley. It's always a special occasion when I get to hang out with her. This girl exudes joy and makes everyone around her feel loved and valuable. She sings loud and talks crazy and is always up for a spontaneous zip line and defends her friends and asks the important questions because she really cares.


Sunday morning I got to go to Common Ground and sit with my friend Avery on one side and Rach and Coll on the other. While we were singing I was enamored by a little girl, maybe 5 years old in the front row singing each song with such concentration and joy. I want to worship with my whole heart, with complete focus just like her.

I loved during the sermon when he said, "Salvation is the presence of the fullness of life made available to us through Jesus Christ." I had never heard salvation defined quite like that before.

It was a perfect lazy afternoon. A little cleaning up and laundry before I started a makeover of this little pig for Linc.

I went for a long run on the Monon and spotted a camper, a student,  and a YL couple.
The best part was skyping with Annie Fazz. She was up at her lake house in Michigan and totally loving the view and the freedom of the long break from school. With her neon headband and random bursts of stories and energy it felt like we were talking in Main Field rather than between two computers.

I'm excited about beginning this little secret project.


Tonight was just exactly what I needed. I met some friends at Chipotle for dinner--girls that share their love for Camp Tecumseh. They didn't know each other when we arrived but were friends by the end of the night. I love how that works.

Sarah and Amanda (session 1), Olivia (Shoshone), Maddie (session 3), Molly (Day Camp), and Irene (Session 2) all came to the Young Life all area worship night with me. It was a night for people from all over Indy to come together to sing and pray together.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Hebrews 12:1

It is without a doubt the cloud of witnesses in my own life that have encouraged and inspired me to run this race, to seek after Christ, to focus on the promises for our future. So many people that live their lives as an offering, a testimony to what they believe.


I want to run on greener pastures,
I want to dance on higher hills,
I want to drink from sweeter waters,
In the misty morning chill.
And my soul is getting restless,
For the place where I belong,
I can't wait to join the angels and sing my heaven song.

 
So take me as you find me,
all my fears and failures.
Fill my life again.
 
I give my life to follow,
everything I believe in.
Now I surrender.
 
Savior
He can move the mountains,
My God is Mighty to Save.
Forever
Author of Salvation
He rose and conquered the grave,
Jesus conquered the grave.


I wish we could have something like this every weekend. I'm so thankful for good friends, adventures, joy you can't hold in, and worship in community.

No comments:

Post a Comment