Sunday, November 16, 2014

"Last night I was house wife training myself."

What if soccer tournaments are actually just CILT reunions in disguise? Devon's team came down from Lake Zurich, a city North of Chicago, to play in Westfield this weekend. Ellie, Grace, Kate, Ashley and I all showed up in the 20 degree weather with blankets and coffee to watch her play. Soccer is not the most climactic sport to watch, but you wouldn't have known that from listening to Ellie scream for Devon every few minutes at the top of their lungs. When they game finished the girls ran across the field to attack each other. 


I met Devon when she was just a tiny Blazer in River Village and through letters and seeing each other for one week each summer we stayed friends. This past summer I got to be one of Devon's CILT counselors for two weeks in the Longhouse. I loved getting to finally be one of her counselors and to get to live the dream together.


We all had lunch together and Sam met up with us too. I love when we all get to Overlap like this even if it's just for a little bit. We're all so excited for the CILT reunion that's just over a month away when all three sessions will be together at Tecumseh.


Because I see Wyld Life girls at school every day I usually save contact work for my HS girls. But this Saturday I had a collaging afternoon with some phenomenal 8th graders. Sophie, Lulu, Maggie, Elise, Audrey, Maddie and Maddy all came to cut up magazines, find quotes, get their fingers totally sticky with glue and create beautiful collages.


I love spending time with these girls. They're some of the sweetest, most appreciative, helpful, genuine and kind junior high kids I know. I've known them all for almost a year and a half now and I'm glad we still have so many years to come.


Today my inspiration came from the pages of J Crew and Patagonia--typical. But I just love these images of mountains and adventure and exploration. It makes me want to grab my backpack and go on Wilderness or some other grand trip. 


Smoon and I weren't in the same place this weekend but we practically watched Gilmore Girls together because we kept sending one another updates about it. Oh holy do we love Lorelai and Rory and Luke and Suuki and Lane and most of Stars Hollow.


Julia and I went to see the Nicholas Sparks movie Best of Me. We really wanted to love it and thought for most of the movie that we would be that ending. Jeesh. It really through me for a loop there. I was not prepared for that kind of plot twist that left me so angry. 

At the end of my weekend I got to spend time with my friends Rachel and Emily. They live in the Broad Ripple area but we make an effort to see each other on a semi-regular basis. I love that we've all been friends for nearly seven years at this point and have so much shared history. We talked about that history today and what is about camp friendships that makes them last for counselors longer than so many of our friendships from HS or college. 


No comments:

Post a Comment