Tuesday, April 24, 2012

2 is 3, 3 is 5, 5 is 4, and 4 is a magic number

Most days I split my time between being a teacher, a Young Life leader, a camp counselor and a friend. I like that I can be more than just one thing, that I'm not stuck with one title. But today was a really teachery kind of day-- 6:45 faculty meeting, Diet Coke by 10am, chapter revisions in every class, creative sentence beginnings, lunch with 8th graders, planning for next week, cheering on runners at the track meet and hanging out with kids on the infield. Here my name is Miss Wright and hearing Sarah seems strange. They think it's funny when they see me in Nike shorts. Teaching "Four is a magic number" to 7th period took me back to riddles with the CILTs on the Longhouse porch.


A letter from my dear Hope friend Lani was waiting for me when I got home. I haven't seen her since graduation and our communication is scarce but I still have faith we'll be friends for years to come. She is one of the best examples of Christ I've ever met and she taught me how to be a friend that really cares, listens, and loves. Reading her pen-scrawled words brought so much joy.


Last year one of my favorite parts of the day was going into Sar's room and sitting on her bed so we could talk before we both went to sleep. I loved that our rooms were right next to each other. Now we're a state away and I miss seeing her every single day. But today we got to Skype for a bit which we don't usually do and I loved getting to hear her voice. And then I went to bed early. 9:30 kind of early. It was glorious. I'm not sure how it's so easy for me to forget that getting a lot of sleep is totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment