Monday, July 16, 2012

"Cough it up choir boy, show me your money."

Saturday morning we got to sleep in--glorious. To avoid the packed bus, Emily, Monica, Molly and I speed-walked up to Lake Village. The walk on that road is one of my favorite things because of the conversations and just the time spent together.


The CILTs did a great job of leading chapel together. 38 is quite a lot of people to have involved but they pulled it off--nothing like a CILT choir on stage.




They told the story of the three trees. It taught us about how sometimes our plans and prayers might not work out the way we expect, but that God may have something even greater in mind for us.


Sarah Mooney stuck around this weekend to play which I'm so thankful for. She has been a main character of my summer and one my very best friends--weekends together, passing the Sar and Sar journal and quick talks whenever we cross paths.


There was friendship bracelet time in Kampen the rest of the morning and we watched the timeless class It Takes Two. As soon as we announced the selection one of the CILTs yelled, "YES! THIS MOVIE IS MY CHILDHOOD."


Not a scene went by without all of the counselors and several older campers quoting all of the lines.


Right after the staff meeting I was greeted by a knock on the Longhouse door from Alex and Caroline, two of my favorite kids that have never actually been in my cabin. They are just so full of camp love and are never afraid to be goofy or weird. I'm so excited to hang out with them.


I went up to Lake Village with the Warrior CILTs and found more of the kids that I love like Lucy and Jackie. I'm so excited for all of them to be here. And we've got Josie and Katherine and Elizabeth and so many more.


And I love that Mags is back this week and that I get to see her when I'm up at Lake Village.


It's so fun to be with Jamie and Mags and Sar all together being fun and weird. I love these friends.


This week was our annual Women of the River opening campfire. We wear earth tones and put mud on our faces and stuff leaves in our hair. We yell loud and stomp on the ground and are so intense we make people quake in fear.


We spotted Jason Mraz.


The Longhouse is filled with so many fierce women.


Not only did we get to stomp around the fire, but I spotted some book worms...


and counselors being intense and little girls that look like they came out of The Wild Things...


and people protesting the fire ban.


WE ARE RIVER WOMEN, WE LIVE BY THE RIVER.



I'm so glad that being weird like this is part of our routine. I'm glad that so many friends are all around all the time.


We declared Monday as Onsie Day--you know, one colored outfits. Pinkfits and routfits and bloutfits galore.


I think monochromatic looks good on us.


Because we rearranged our Sunday schedule we got to have an adventure on Monday morning. We hiked through the Oak Forest over rocks and under branches along the Tippecanoe River.


We felt like Louis and Clark and Jamie and Sarah.


Hayden, Amy and Courtney found cool things like snake skins and bones and turtle shells.


And after the long hike and climbing up the mountain we finally made it up to the top of the hill victorious. Jamie is a beast.



This view reminds me of all the pictures Sarah Briggs has of groups summitting mountains in Colorado. Not quite a 14er, but this still felt like a really big deal to the CILTs.


The Gish Adventure Outpost is new to camp this summer. We did the team-building activities that are up here but groups this summer have primarily used it as a sleep out spot. There is a pavilion and a cleared out area for the hammocks. We have a pretty sweet telescope and a laser pointer that effectively circles around different constellations.


We silently solved the puzzle that works kind of like dominoes.


Played psychiatrist in the shade.


Worked with the giant Claw--modeled after the claw game where you win stuffed animals.


Everyone on the exterior was in charge of a rope that pulled, lowered, raised or opened the claw.


When there was a clear communication and everyone worked together they could pick up different kick balls and then drop them into their appropriate crates.


It was fun to try out brand-new stuff at camp and to stick with just a small group for the morning.





At breakfast I was going to talk to another counselor when I spotted Abby sitting at the table. She and I became friends four summers ago when she was in Catawba and I still think she has the most beautiful heart. Then before lunch I was walking by the four-square court saying hi to kids when Nicole and I recognized each other and stopped dead in our tracks. She is the younger sister of one of my old campers and I love getting to play with her each summer. Nicole is so wise and funny and smart. I love that they're both here and when their faces light up it makes my day.


I got to go play at the Richard G in the shallow end in the afternoon. Clay was in high demand with the CILTs and their adopted campers.



I got to hang out with Josie and Alex the whole time. I love that they're Pathfinders and they still want to play in the shallow end the whole time and just dig up clay and learn cool stomps and talk about clinics and put warrior stripes on their cheeks.

2 comments:

  1. I love that those Women of the River camo shirts from the Summer of 2009 are still making their appearance!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I love reading your blog and getting to learn about some of the awesome things that are happening at camp, even if I don't get to see them firsthand. Thanks for sharing the joy!

    ReplyDelete