Junior High kids can be some of the most creative and kind people on the planet. I love thoughtful surprises like the one I got today from 8th grader Marni. She's an FBC kid and just so sweet. In her art class she had to work on a giant size version of a regular item. Little did I know, she's been working on this gigantic earthquake patterned friendship bracelet.
Tonight we had our monthly club-- this time we threw it way back. We're talking Intermediate and Junior High years with the silly bands, shiny Uggs, Pink sweatshirts and old team uniforms. I was so happy to see a handful of brand-new faces in the crowd who had been invited by a friend to show up tonight.
We started by playing DDR and Zuber made us step it up to the professional level. Then using a playlist of songs from Now That's What I Call Music we had our own dance party to tunes like The Lazy Song, Down, Dynamite, Just The Way You Are, Stereo Hearts and Somebody to Love. It culminated in a classic dance circle with Grace and Isaiah running around the perimeter giving high-5s to everyone. It was a moment we won't forget.
- Who Will I Be
- Bet On It
- Breaking Free
- Play My Music
- Just Wanna Be With You
- Work This Out
Instead of passing out tickets for raffle prizes tonight, we had some Throwback YL Trivia. I wonder if you could correctly answer any of these questions.
- What year did YL begin?
- Who founded YL?
- Name the four locations where HSE YL has met the most regularly.
- Name the five camps HSE YL and WL have attended.
- Name the natural disasters that interrupted two camp trips.
- Name four locations where HSE WL has met the most regularly.
- Name two YL camp that we haven't gone to yet and the state they're located in.
I love that at YL everybody's in. I love that KCraig dances with the best of them, that I'm so excited when Grace Dittoe shows up, that Colton will happily do the whip even if no one is watching, the freshmen girls go hard when they're in a circle together, that Nick and Zach are so outgoing until you through them into the dance circle and that Cassidy rocks her scrunchie and jacket like they've never been and never will be out of style. These are our people.
More legit than Hannah Montana's Best of Both Worlds 2007 Tour, we had a party. I'm so thankful for a ministry like YL where we will just keep living life together. We're not confined to Monday nights at the barn. I'll go to the Regionals volleyball game tomorrow night and to dinner with a YL girl later this week, we'll just keep checking in and showing up. We are changing the world around us by living a different kind of story.
How did you do?
- Who Will I Be-- Camp Rock
- Bet On It-- HS Musical 2
- Breaking Free-- HS Musical 1
- Play My Music-- Camp Rock
- Just Wanna Be With You-- HS Musical 3
- Work This Out-- HS Musical 2
- What year did YL begin? 1941
- Who founded YL? Jim Rayburn
- Name the four locations where HSE YL has met the most regularly. Robertson's, Andi Devoe's, the Barn, Yacht Club
- Name the five camps HSE YL and WL have attended. Timberwolf Lake, Michindoh, Sharp Top Cove, Castaway Cove, Wilderness Ranch
- Name the natural disasters that interrupted two camp trips.The Blizzard at TWL Winter Weekend and the Flash Flood at Sharp Top
- Name four locations where HSE WL has met the most regularly. Andi Devoe's, Mama Bear's, the Barn, the Garret's
- Name two YL camp that we haven't gone to yet and the state they're located in. Soooo many options