Tuesday, January 22, 2013

979 has me rolling, the only moving part was the shoes, Odle's like Pluto

The last few minute of class are something teachers and students feel very differently about. When I was kid I wanted to pack up early and just zone out before I had to rush back into the call and to my next class. As a teacher, I want my kids to use every second of class time on their work rather than quitting early because "it's almost time to go." A lot of work can be accomplished in just a few minutes and for my kids that forget about homework, it's important we stay on task here at school. So I've come up with a solution I'm trying out.
 
While looking for something to cover up the clock I found last year's TSwift calender. I had the current class vote on their favorite picture and they choose "Taylor hanging out." So now she's up there hanging out on the clock and when kids ask what time it is we all say, "It's Taylor Time." I'm feeling pretty great about it so far.
 

After school I met up with Sophie to watch last night's Bachelor. I've known her younger sister Maddie for a couple years but through Young Life I've gotten to know Soph, a Junior, a lot better this year. As soon as we walked inside she said, "You want to see the whole house?! You want to see my room?!" She had good reason to be so excited. Her room is easily one of the coolest I've ever seen, exploding with personality. From the posters and artifacts covering the walls to her antique furniture and record collection, this room is like a museum of all her interests and passions. She has a pressed rose from Elvis Presley's garden, a hammock chair hanging from the ceiling, a secret alcove for her bed, a knitting corner, a chair she's in the process of decoupaging and headlines from antique newspapers that will soon cover the area over her desk. She's just so cool.

This is the kind of "cool" and confidence I want the HS girls I know to go after. Instead of trying to fly under the radar or be just like a perfect magazine cover or match all of your friends, what if you embraced who you already are. What if you dove deeper into what you're passionate about? And if you don't know what that is, maybe it's time for you to do some exploring.


Lizzy, Amanda and I had dinner together at McAllister's, Amanda's favorite. I finally got my own set of Spot It cards and taught them the games. They were more intense than when I played with my friends last week so I had to up my competitive nature. We started a group message with some other camp girls that quickly became one of the funniest texting conversations I've ever been a part of. I'm so thankful for these girls and glad that they'll be back at Tecumseh this summer. I'm going to be so sad when they're away at school next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment