Thursday, January 24, 2013

Hipsters v Jocks

Just before club I got this text, "EMERGENCY! What kind of shoes do hipsters wear?" These are the types of things we need to know. Thankfully we all got our outfits figured out and the kids showed up dressed as the hippest- without-trying-to-be-hip hipsters and ready-for-a-throw-down jocks I'd ever seen.
 

We wait upstairs in the garages as everyone arrives and have time for plenty of pictures together. It's all still so new here and I love seeing which kids show up that I didn't expect.
 

I love that I get to share Wyld Life with Julia and her friends, that Rutger showed up after I heckled him all day at school, the 8th grade girl army that already loves Young Life so much, friends like Emma and Olivia that get ready beforehand together. I wish that I had been able to be a Wyld Life kid in Junior High and I love that this is now part of their story.



 
This dream team is a force to be reckoned with. Don't mess with KCraig's crew.
 

When I was dreaming of YL a year ago I don't think I was even dreaming of Wyld Life yet. But God's plans are bigger than my ideas and I'm so thankful that this was in the works. I'm all about these kids and thankful that I've been placed in a position where I can be so involved with them. Who wouldn't want to be friends with this group?


Due to the basketball game and cheer practices we didn't have quite the regular turn-out of 7th graders, but I was thrilled when Soph and Milly showed up after their Lacrosse practice and I love that Emma and Kendal are here every time. I know that these girls are going to be involved with YL all the way through.


Tonight we sang, played games, ran around the gym, deciphered hipster Instagram puzzles, taste-tested hipster and jock drinks, laughed and cheered and had more fun on a Thursday night than you're supposed to.






I love that it's so obvious week after week that God knows what he's doing and everything will work out. Even if there are technical difficulties, even if some people can't show up, even if we're nervous-- God will handle it all. This sight, of all these kids singing together, just being kids when the rest of the world is trying to make them grow up too fast, this is a beautiful thing.


Lori gave the talk tonight about this picture or image we portray. Sometimes it's not one we're very proud of, like the old prom photo she shared with us. But she shared from 2 Corinthians, "And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.”

It is possible for God to change us an make us new. When we broke up in small groups we talked about how other's see us, how God sees us, how we want to be remembered and people we admire that are already living like this is our school. The time when we get to sit in a circle and talk together is my favorite part.


Dear Wyld Life kids,

You're the best. I'm so glad that we get to share this adventure together. Thank you for getting so amped up about everything we do and bringing so much life and energy to Club. I love seeing you break down walls of friend groups and stereotypes when we're all together. You're setting the tone that everyone is accepted and part of this team. It's so cool to see you thinking about the person God is calling you to be and how you can live that out until we meet again. You really can make that happen.

Can't wait to see you in the halls and the lunch room. Keep being exceptional. Peace, love and YL- Miss Wright




No comments:

Post a Comment