Wednesday, January 9, 2013

"Ok, how many letters are in Arielle? I'm going to need six other people to paint up with me."

I love when I'm reading along and words hit me with a gravity that yes, this is what's really important. Today I found some of those words on one of my favorite blogs,

"Little pleasures should never ever get lost in the shuffle of big important routines. They are what's big and important because they fuel everything else.
Mid week high five, hand clap, hip bump. May the rest of your week be big and important." -Kelle Hampton
 
Last night my second craft I started at Allie Kenney's house began with this jar. I first stretched some rubber bands around it...


Then painted it with a couple coats of this blue paint. The hope was that when the rubber bands came off they would leave behind crisp, straight lines. Unfortunately the bottom two rubber bands slid off taking the lower paint with them, the top lines stayed somewhat clear but there was smeared paint inconsistent widths. Not quite what I had imagined. But fear not, I rarely give up on a craft.


Tonight I got to share dinner with Sarah, Alli, Olivia, Lizzy, Amanda and Erin-- wonderful camp T girls that have become such a big part of my heart. Thankfully they're all hoping to come back to Tecumseh on summer whether it's on Day Camp or Resident staff. I would want to be partners with any of them or put my own kids (if I had any) in their trail group or cabin. I love that we get to share real life together with logo quizzes and our waiter jack Black and Diet Coke refills for everyone and lists of potential counselors and planning how we'll cheer on Arielle and laughing at Erin's schemes.


Tonight I attacked the jar again and am much happier with the outcome. The clear parts have been replaced by painted stripes, the back ground fixed up and the whole things has been coated several times with a matte finish spray that seals it with a clear coat so the paint won't chip off.


Here's to celebrating the little pleasures: a kid wearing a bow tie to school, an idea for a restaurant that only serves applesauce cups and rolls, another boy that wants to invent colored salt so you can see how much you put on your food, giant Diet Cokes, making connections, quotes that inspire, reuniting with friends, friends that just show up at your house, songs you can't help but sing along to, pictures that make you smile, strangers that make you laugh and a bed of warm quilts.

No comments:

Post a Comment