Monday, January 7, 2013

Back to HSJH and YL

Today I went back to the ol' HSJH. Winter Break is over and it's time to go back into school mode, at least until June. Today I sat in a meeting, was so excited to see KCraig, Lori, Hodgin and Alex, made new seating charts, made sure everything was all set for the next couple days and turned my old quote calendar into new art on my cabinet doors. Bring on the children.



Last semester was my favorite as a teacher yet. My kids were awesome, I was confident in what I was doing, I was surrounded by positive people and did I say my kids were awesome? I'm a little nervous about the new 162 kids that will be filling the seats in my room tomorrow. They've got some big shoes to fill at this point. But I've got enthusiasm to spare and a few new ideas for this semester? I'm most excited about this little Precept project.


Today I got to hang out with the Hendricks sisters after school. It's been so weird to not see either of them for the past two weeks. Libby and I see each other at least once a week if not more and Emma was in my 3rd period class every day before Christmas. Today we got to catch up, eat Dairy Queen, write top 10 lists about friends and why we believe the things that we do and it all just felt so special. Like you know when you're just so content with people and you can be real and honest with them? Today was like that.


Today we restarted YL Campaigners after a 2 week hiatus. Today I wasn't surprised when MadSwag and Natty B burst out in an impromptu performance mixing musical strands from Pitch Perfect and Les Mis. I was thankful to see the kids that could make it tonight and glad that it was small enough that all the girls could stay together for our talk. I love when everyone is engaged and thinking and figuring out more about what God is calling them too. Today I was reminded in several small moments that YL isn't about having a billion kids show up each week, YL is about reaching kids where they are, loving them for who they are, listening to their story and pointing them to Christ.


Today I was encouraged by these words, "So here’s what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don’t become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You’ll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you." Romans 12:1-2 (The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment