Thursday, January 31, 2013

Macklemore meets Miss Wright


Perhaps you've heard of Macklemore's Thrift Shop? My YL girls introduced it to me first, then it was part of a skit at camp the next weekend. It's not unusual to hear kids humming it in the hallway at school. Today before SLT Hodgin and I suddenly started changing the lyrics to a more school friendly version. A little, "I'm gonna crack some books," and then, "only got two pencils in my pocket." The bell rang for us to go back to class but my kids kept spitting the next few lines at me. 
After taking Kid President's challenge to be more awesome today we decided to commit to making the best SLT ever. We wrote the lyrics together up on the overhead screen, practiced a few times and then recorded a music video. Today I love being a teacher with these kids.


What-what, what, what
What-what, what, what
Budda, Budda, Budda- du duh
Budda, Budda, Budda- du duh

I'm gonna crack some books.
Only got two pencils in my pocket.
I'ma I'ma reading,
Through the halls I'm speedin'
School is really awesome.

Walkin to school like what up I got a big book
Goin old school, don’t need no Nook
And that’s about it,
Don’t wanna waste all day
Wright’s SLT is a constant par-tay

High's of the Day: Waking up to "High of the Day" texts from girls, playing the zoom name game at the start of every class, 3rd period's 16-second record, sharing Kid President's Pep Talk with my 7th graders, hanging out with FBC girls, cooking with my roommates, making a Dance Mix for an upcoming Club and Reunion, knowing that I get to see old CILTs back at camp in just two days.

1 comment:

  1. Did you just see the Macklemore Challenge on YHL last week??

    ReplyDelete