Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Best First Day of the Year 2013

The first day of the year is better than an octopus made out of snow. And when it's spent with three of your favorite people it's even better. Two years ago Sarah, Michelle and Maggie came to Indy from Peoria to celebrate the first day of the year and it was one of the best. We decided to have a repeat of that event and the girls made the trek over to Indianapolis again.



After lunch we got to work building a giant fort in my living room. I read on a blog earlier this year about a mom that builds forts for her kids all the time. First she ties rope around the room and then clothespins sheets and quilts to make the roof and walls. Smooney, Molly, Maggie and I got to work typing the rope to the stairs and doorknobs, moving lamps for height and using extra chairs, bikes, golf clubs and a yoga ball for exterior support.


The final product was really cool and there was so much room for activities.




One of our activities last time was a photo shoot in the snow with our personal photographer Sarah Briggs. We didn't have her this time and it was freezing but we still took pictures outside.


Best First Day of the Year 2010:


Best First Day of the Year 2012:








We started watching Pitch Perfect inside our tent but had to cut it short to head up to dinner at Mellow Mushroom. FYI- they don't serve mushrooms there. Our table kept getting longer and longer as many generations of camp friends arrived.


Not everyone there knows one another but that's okay. You pull up a chair and make new friends if you need to. But I love seeing reunions like Kellie and the Mooney sisters or Emily Chase and the girls of her CILT year.


Tonight Lesem and Kate might have tricked Sam into coming but I think it was a good surprise. It's so fun to see my old kids who are now on staff together and to find out which ones are planning on being back again this next summer.


I like jumping up from my chair to go talk to someone at another part of the table for a little. I love when their is a burst of laughter and a story has to be retold to the whole table. It makes me happy when a couple girls say they want to do a name game so they can find out who everyone is.



I love that Karisa and Abby drove into town to visit Lizzy this weekend. It's pretty special that Morgan, one of our waitresses was a CILT two summers ago, and that our other waiter and waitress recognize the camp party when we roll in with volume few groups can match.



I'm thankful for this camp family, pizza, telling stories, sparking new friendships, catching up, Diet Coke and being together.


We played some napkin list games around the table- New Clinic Suggestions and Favorite Untypical Moments of the Camp Day- hilarious contributions.



We got to keep playing with some friends back at my house for awhile. A few of us had a dance party in the kitchen and then we all just sat and talked till tiredness started to set in.

But my favorite First Day of the Year tradition was still yet to come. The Mooney sisters, Maggie and I write reflective Top 10 lists together and share our answers. Moments of 2012, People That Impacted Our Year, Things We Wish We Could Say To People. People We Hope We Never Lose Touch With, Our Favorite Devotion Moments Ever. I think there is something so important and so special about reflecting. It's important to check in and really think about our life and where we're at and where we want to be. I'm thankful for friends like these girls that will be so honest and vulnerable.


We woke after way too little sleep to go and meet my friend Taylor. All four of these girls are such an important part of my life, but the odds of them all being in Indy at the same time is slim to none. We had to take advantage of it this morning and have breakfast together. I loved getting to watch them interact and just be all in the same place.


I texted some reflective questions to camp and YL girls while we were making lists late at night. It's been so cool to read their responses all day. When I asked about their friendships some things really stood out.

I'm closer with my best friends because Young Life brought us closer. I can always count on them. I have definitely grown closer with my friends. We're all so honest and I think that's what makes us able to rely on each other. I have realized what it means to have true friends and God has surrounded me with amazing people to be with me through life. I know my friends are really going to be there for me. I stopped caring about being popular because I found most of them were fake with each other and I wanted something more.

Michelle, Maggie and Sarah have been that type of friend to me. I'm thankful that when things are tough we can be honest and have difficult conversations. I love that they're intentional about staying in touch and showing up and being a part of each other's lives all year round. They've taught me so much about being yourself no matter what anyone else says. I've seen them make difficult decisions, fight for what they want and make sacrifices to love others well. They're the best.



When Natty B was in just 7th grade we climbed a snow pile in the school parking lot while we were waiting for her mom to come pick her up from FBC. We had just watched Where The Wild Things Are and when we got to the top she and I yelled, "LET THE WILD RUMPUS START!" just like Max.


Today I spotted a giant snow mountain when we were leaving breakfast and got the girls to climb up to the top with me. We screamed from the top just like Max, still causing wild rumpus all these years later.


We went on a little exploration on the way home. I'd always wanted to check out Broad Ripple Park and the girls were up for a little adventure. Mags fist pumping in the tree. She's one heck of a brave soul.


Peanut and Sass on the two year anniversary of our nicknames. Love this friend.


Sar and Sar twins, she's such a loyal friend and kind big sister.


Sar's hope for the weekend when we brainstormed activities was to collage together and we finally found time this morning to make it happen. With Friends playing in the background we cut and ripped out the perfect quotes and pictures. I love this process of seeing what might end up together and finding just the right pieces.



We had one more reunion for lunch with great camp friends from last night plus Irene and Emma!


I'm rich in the great friend department. I'm so thankful for time with these people. That's been the best part of break so far, plenty of time to spend with all these people that I care about.


Here's to another Best First Day of the Year Ever. Here's to traditions and best friends. Here's to reflecting on the past and looking forward to the future. Here's to quilted forts and glowing dance parties. Here's to climbing trees and making new friends. Here's to staying up well into the night and falling asleep being so happy. Here's to having adventures and taking opportunities. Here's to top 10 lists and making crafts. Here's to showing up and talking in circles. Here's to 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment