Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Today was a little rough, so let's talk about fun things instead.

Haley is obsessed with Alaskan Zebra milkshakes at the Coffee Spoon. Just about every time we hang out we go get her one and today Kate came with us which was the best surprise of my day. I love whole coffee house mentality of sitting and talking with people. Coffee dates were one of my favorite things in college and I tried to plan JP's into my schedule as often as possible.
 
Today was a very meh day for me and almost everyone I talked to tonight. So many people felt like they were in a funk or had something bad happen or got sad news or were just out of it. I hate feeling like that. But tomorrow will be better right? Since I don't have fun things to write about that happened today, allow me to tell you about some really great things that I'm missing right about now.
 
I miss quilting with Bethie and Sarah Briggs. We took this picture at the end of our first quilting weekend ever when we made Sar's pink quilt. This was also the weekend that I started writing Overlap after Sar convinced me. She'd started a photo-a-day blog the day before me and thankfully got me to join the blogosphere. I can't wait for quilt camp with these two next month.
 

When I first moved to Indy after college I got plugged into Carmel YL right away. I fell into this group of incredible people that were passionate about leading kids to Christ and living life alongside them. For these people Young Life wasn't just an organization that they helped out with once a week, this was their life and I was inspired. I'm so thankful that I was immediately welcomed into community with Jenna, Sarah, Mary Ellen and a handful of other leaders. I don't know what I would have done without them. 


So... I don't really miss this, but I found this picture and had to share. Isn't this bike SO COOL?! On a night off from camp we were making our obligatory Wal-Mart trip when we spotted a guy riding this thing they had welded together. Of course I asked him if I could try. It was quite easy to ride once I figured out how to climb up there but stopping was terrifying. Good thing Kath was such an experienced spotter.


I miss the summers when I worked in Mingo, Teton and Choctaw because I got to have so many repeat campers from year to year. The first year I did CILTs was so special because I had girls like Grace, Kelly, Molly, Chrissy and Mary in my cabin again. They were crazy and fun and spontaneous and honest and vulnerable and hilarious. I feel like we cried so much in those two weeks-- in devotions late night or laughing so hard that someone would wet their pants. I think Molly would have been able to climb all the way to the top of the flagpole if I hadn't stopped her.


I miss being with my YL girls at Timber Wolf this past summer. The dynamic in our cabin was almost magical. None of the girls had ever been to camp before so they were all experiencing it together for the first time, we had a mix of friends groups that got along so well, I loved leading with Hannah and all the kids from our area had a blast. I wish I could time travel back for a little while.


I will always love camp no matter what, but I really miss getting to counsel with these friends that I started with. Lily, Emily, Fitz, Rach, Kath, Molly and McSoley are some of the best counselors Tecumseh has ever seen. They taught their campers so much from what they said and their own example of loving life. Coming up with new ideas for creative counseling, running the party room, hanging out on weekends and nights off, learning from each other and laughing all summer long was the best. I miss what they each added to our staff morale and how much they loved this place.


Who knew I would love being an Aunt so much? I so love this little guy and am glad that he's only a drive away. This past summer I got to see him every day at camp (along with the rest of my family) and I miss that so much now. Every time I visit it seems like he's so much bigger and has learned something new.


Oh my rat how I miss these girls. For the past two years, they were a constant presence outside of my classroom door whenever they could walk by 201 before their next class. Abby, Rachel, Katy, Mikaela and Grace made me love my job and made me so excited to start YL. Together we wrote Top 10 lists on Fridays, they came to my room once a week to eat lunch with them and they invited me to be a part of their life outside of school whether that was going to xc meets or doing the Bop together. These girls are some of the very best.

No comments:

Post a Comment