Thursday, March 20, 2014

Divergent

When I read Divergent by Veronica Roth I was immediately hooked. I loved the characters, the story and idea of factions in this dystopian society. I've anxiously been waiting to see the book unfold on the big screen.  Last Friday a group of four 7th grade girls asked me to come to the premier with them and I jumped at the opportunity.


Julia and I joined the Divergent party but had a bit of trouble knowing how to dress up. Being Katniss for the Hunger Games is simple and you can't fail when dressing up for a Harry Potter premier--but we were at such a loss of how to dress up for this book. So we made up our own Whimsy faction. In our faction you wear lots of bright colors, look for adventure, embrace joy and invite everyone in.
 
 
 
Sidenote: I found a faction quiz and discovered that if the whole Whimsy faction doesn't work out I should join Amity. Good to know.
 

The movie started at 8:00 but we got to the theatre at about 5:30 to make sure we would get good seats all together. Audrey, Lulu, Elyse and Sophie are our 7th grade Divergent fans. They were beyond excited for the movie.


Grace's runner friends Sam, Ciarra, Rachel and Courtney all sat in the row in front of us and then our friends Katy and Hope came too. Everyone had read the book (except Hope who said, "What's this about anyways?" when she walked in) and was bursting with anticipation.


Nerdy, book-loving friends are the bomb. We all have an idea of what the characters look like in our heads, have our own pronunciation of the factions and hope that the movie will live up to all of our expectations.


With hours until the movie began we had time to take pictures, scroll Instagram, make friends and avoid homework. Grace is a rock star, especially with her two black eyes. Hope, Katy and Julia became friends at the basketball game last weekend and now they're even more in love with each other.


Katy P cracks me up with all of her stories. These 7th grade girls are awesome and I love that I got to share this with them. When we saw 8th graders Lucy, Jovie, Katie and Ellie walk in we had them sit in our row too.






I loved the movie from the first minute. It was even better than what I was hoping for. Every book to movie adaptation will have it's differences but I'm a huge supporter of this one. Even if you haven't read Divergent I think you'll love this. Tris is the new heroine every girl will want to be when they grow up. Four/Tobias is beautiful and could beat Peeta and Gale in a second.


We believe in ordinary acts of bravery; in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.


You're different. You don't fit into a category. They can't control you. They call it Divergent.


I don't wanna be just one thing. I can't be. I want to be brave. I want to be selfless, intelligent, honest and kind. Although I'm still working on kind.


Oh holy we loved it. I love that in a movie premier every person in the room is so hype that the whole crowd breaks out in cheers or clapping periodically. When the credits rolled at the end we didn't want it to be over. There was a stack of movie posters when we walked out and we all took at least one. I think I'm going to have to go see this in the theatre again soon.


1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I can't wait to get to an English speaking country to watch it! This post gets me so psyched! Good to know the movie lives up to expectations :)

    ReplyDelete