Monday, March 10, 2014

"SARAH WHO IS GRAHAM?!"

She told me she wasn't coming to Young Life tonight so I was beyond thrilled when I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around to find Brookie standing there. Julia screamed when she saw her and ran across the room too. I love seeing Molly on Mondays and how she just wants to give people hugs and scratch their backs all the time.
 

Julia and I tried to show Brooke what we learned at the Indiana Elite Dawg Show yesterday and made her be the flyer. I have full confidence in the Senior Tsunami bases but Brooke wasn't totally feeling secure all the way up there.


Tonight I got to be with these Freshmen girls, plus Molly, and am so thankful for each of them. I love that they're making it a priority to get here each week and that this place is like a second home and these people are their family. We can be laughing one minute and having a heart to heart the next.


It's really cool to look around at all the kids and leaders gathered in this room and realize that many of them would have never met or become friends if not for Young Life. One of the questions we asked tonight was, "Who is someone in your life that has been there for you when you needed them most?" Many of my girls named leaders and kids in our circle and in our larger Young Life group. Sometimes we mess up, but I hope that we're continually learning to put others before ourselves and really be there for them.


I'm so thankful for the people who keep showing up in my life-- my family that reminds me how much they love me, people I lead with, old Young Life girls that are all grown up now, camp friends and HSE Young Life kids that have become important friends. Shauna Niequist calls these types of people our Home Team, “Everybody has a home team: It’s the people you call when you get a flat tire or when something terrible happens. It’s the people who, near or far, know everything that’s wrong with you and love you anyways. These are the ones who tell you their secrets, who get themselves a glass of water without asking when they’re at your house. These are the people who cry when you cry. These are your people, your middle-of-the-night, no-matter-what people.”


How can you be there for the people on your Home Team this week? Maybe you can make a phone call, deliver a latte, send a letter in the mail, take time to pray, offer to babysit, give them a gift just because or make sure you give them a hug the next time you see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment