Thursday, August 7, 2014

"Are you going to tell us what scuttlebutt means?"

I'm so glad that I've gotten to be partners with Arielle for this whole summer and especially the last three weeks. She's my oldest friend in the world, so that's cool, and she and I just work well together. Our shared history makes this even more fun. 


I got to see my girl Alice this morning which was sweet. I may not cross paths with her again till closing campfire which stinks but that's okay. She's a rock star and I'm such a fan of her. Ellyn and I didn't even coordinate our shirts today-- we just match on accident. Can't believe that another summer together is almost over. 



So many of the main characters of my week aren't even girls in my cabin. They're girls like Meg and Ella who just met me this week but we became fast friends. Their friends Erin Dickett and Lauren and Erin Williams introduced us all and now we hang out all the time.


When I think about being a counselor in the summer my immediate thought is CILTs. But for these last couple of weeks I've been a Blazer counselor and this time is just as important. I'm thankful for the way that God has worked in these friendships and how I've seen him show up all over camp. Girls like Mary Cate have had such an impact on me.


CLD perfected our routine to the song My Lighthouse and we'll audition tomorrow to find out where we'll perform on Friday night.


During clay clinic I got to hang out with all my homies as they started painting their projects. Erin sat with me while she kept working on her friendship bracelets.


All morning long I worked on a list of memories from this summer, primarily from the first six weeks as  the CILT Pack. There are so many people, conversations, adventures and memories that I don't want to forget. It was be an awesome summer.

Lauren, her friends and I meet on this bench every day before lunch to hang out. I'm a big fan of this routine and getting to just chill with these girls.


This afternoon was the very last lake time of the summer. Arielle buddied up with Mary Cate and I went with Sally. The four of us paddled out on the kayaks and then rocked the Saturn together.


Then on the way to pop stop we belted out, "IT'S FINE BY ME IF WE NEVER LEAVE. WE CAN STAY AT CAMP FOREVER IT'S FINE BY ME." and gave the girls challenges like walk to the trash can with a rock balanced on your head. 


After a dozen different weird challenges we had the girls hold hands and count to 50 with their eyes closed. When they opened them up Arielle and I were gone, but Annabelle was in the middle of the circle with a letter. She'd written the girls to ask them to help her with the rest of her bucket list for the summer.


The girls were on a mission! First Annabelle went down the zipline over the lake with Katherine.


My heart was racing while Annabelle was out there over the water like that. I would have jumped in had she fallen.


Then the girls had to get Annabelle in the weekly DVD so they rolled down a hill while Wolf Dancer filmed them.


Annabelle got a picture with a Moose (we met the animal, but this counselor named Moose totally works). They built an Annabelle sized sand castle.


Kylie took Annabelle for a ride down the Arrow slide. We convinced Betsey to make Annabelle her first friendship bracelet.


Annabelle and the rest of Choctaw got a look inside of Teton.


She got to ride a horse at Ft. Disco too.


There are still a few things left on Annabelle's list but we'll try to make them happen by tomorrow.


Tonight we had a cook out in Main Field, my favorite dinner of the whole week. Everyone sits together in the grass and then runs all around during Trading Post time.


I'm sure going to miss my homies Fiona, Valentina and Mary Cate when this week is over.


After dinner Choctaw battled Seneca in Fishbowl. The girls came out victorious in the end. 


I met my friend Sarah this week who will be a student at HSJH next week. There's a 50/50 chance she'll be my student!


We headed to the pit behind the pool for our mud hike. Even though it was chilly we jumped right in and got totally covered in the stuff. It was disgusting and awesome at the same time.


I loved seeing my girls just go for it and putting mud all over their hair and face and shirts.


A whole bunch of cabins were there so I got to hang out with all of my homies like Erin Dickett and Mallory.



We had night swim for our last activity. It was low key freezing and I sat out with Erin, Kendall and Lauren. They were teaching each other brain teasers and cracking up when they couldn't figure them out. I held Erin on my lap, with her all wrapped in a towel, and just laughed with the girls. It was one of those moments I just wish I could freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment