Thursday, August 21, 2014

"Hi, we'd like to order some pancakes, a side of bacon, chicken nuggets with BBQ sauce... and some banana pudding."

Next to my desk at school I have a quote from Shauna Niequist's book Bread & Wine written out, "I want you to gobble up life in huge bites, tasting everything, trying every new flavor, remembering every smell and texture like it's the best thing you've ever had. I want you to invest wholly and deeply in friendship, God's greatest evidence of himself here on earth. I want you to live with wild and gorgeous abandon, throwing yourself into each day, telling the truth about who you are and who you are not, writing a love song to the world itself and to the God who made every inch of it."


I have it there as a reminder of what I want to be about, how I want to spend my time and what I will choose as my attitude. There are so many things we can't control about our lives, but we are in charge of our choices and our outlook. So I want to live fully engaged in life. I want to make people a priority-- building relationships instead of just filling a busy schedule.

Today I got to live that out with my friends Katy P and Hope. They're Juniors now, upperclassman at the HS who are just the kind of people I would have wanted to be friends with in my HS days. They care less about being cool then they do about living life to the full. They go on picnics, roller blade with their friends, adventure in the woods, go on mission trips together and make crazy cool friendship bracelets. Being friends with them makes my life more rich.


Tonight was also a very special night because I got to meet Olivia Ruth Ahlwardt for the very first time. She was born yesterday afternoon, weighing in at just over 6 pounds. Olivia is the daughter of Lauren and Ryan Ahlwardt, HSE Young Life staff and our good friends. KCraig, her daughter Alex and I visited their family in the hospital tonight so that we could meet this sweet new little baby. We love her already and are so excited to be there as she grows up.

No comments:

Post a Comment