Tuesday, August 5, 2014

"Come have a seat on the scuttlebutt rug with me."

Today we sang an old school Switchfoot song at chapel which was pretty cool. Part of the lyrics say, "This is your life. Are you who you want to be? Is it everything you dreamed that it would be when you were younger?" It's an interesting to think about here at camp. We get to opportunity day after day to live into the person we want to be. We get the chance to make the kind of life we've always wanted. Now our challenge will be to take that person and that life back with us when the week is over. 



Molly and I made our Diet Coke stop before FAB with some of our FAB girls-- Erin, Meg, Daisy and Celia. I would love if we had Diet Coke time every morning with our favorite homies like this. 



Today we learned to make the 3-braid bracelet in FAB and the girls did a great job of being patient and following the steps of the new pattern. I wish that I had been able to make such cool bracelets when I was their age. 


Even though I wish they could be in my cabin again, I'm so thankful that I get time to hang out with Erin Dickett and Erin Williams every day during clinics. They're such sweet girls and they just make camp so fun.


Teaching two clinics in a row with Molly Henry is like hitting the jackpot. She's one of my very best friends here at Tecumseh and someone who just gets me and is a main character of my life. I love getting to cut string, come up with line dances, drink Diet Coke and play with campers right beside her.


One of the biggest changes for me post-CILT-life is spending so much time with other counselors. Instead of only being the four other CILT counselors every morning, now I'm with the whole staff a lot more. I'm glad that I'm teaching clay with my friends Dan and Karisa and that Ellyn is always around. Today while we taught the kids to make coil pots we sang their old CILT cheers and dreamed about what next summer might look like for us.


I'm loving hanging out with all of these girls and listening to their stories about life at home and life here in their cabins. The oldest Blazers are the age of the students I'll have in my classroom next week which is pretty fun. I love asking them to give me teaching advice.


It's crazy that a week from now it'll be the Eve of welcoming 150 new students into my classroom. I will have put away my wooden name tag and I'll go back to being Miss Wright all day long.  I said this when I started teaching, and it's still true now, I want to bring as much camp and as much of my counselor self into room 124 as I can.


I want to care about my students as individual kids. I want to hear their stories, laugh with them, make things creative, smile often and pray for them. I want to create a culture where everyone is part of a family. Right now, I have no idea who will be filling the chairs in my room. But what if my kids were Lauren, Valentina and Fiona? I want to love all of the kids that walk into my room just like I love all of my campers.


This afternoon the Blazers were at the Richard G Lake with the Warriors so I got to see my girl Alice again! She's so awesome and I love that we both get SO excited whenever we cross paths at camp.


I had to apologize to the rest of maintenance crew for missing my shifts while I was away in Georgia last week at YL camp but they understand. Now I'm back on the job and we're almost finished with the new Lake House. Don't you just love the porch?


Choctaw had extra blob time with the Dogs this afternoon which meant I got to see so many fun girls in that cabin-- Meg, Erin, Celia, Daisy, Audrey and Mallory are all together. We jumped on the trampoline and slid off the blob like it was the best thing that ever happened to us.


Tonight was my night off and I got to hang out with my friends Ben, Natalia, Suzanne, Soaps, Nart, David and Dan. This was actually my first night without kids since

No comments:

Post a Comment