Monday, August 18, 2014

"There are no strangers here, only friends we haven't met."

Two years ago we started HSE Young Life. We met at Ryan and Abby Robertson's house with a group of Freshmen and Sophomores who were excited about YL. A handful of them had come with us to Timber Wolf Lake for Wyld Life camp that summer, but most of them had no idea what they were getting into. Since then we've grown spiritually and relationally together. Now we have HS kids of all four grades show up to the Devoe's barn on Monday nights. Ryan and KCraig are both on YL staff. We have a small army of volunteer leaders and an amazing crew of both Junior High and High School kids that we love. 



Tonight I spotted Alyssa's t-shirt while we were singing together at the beginning of the night. It reads, "There are no strangers here, only friends we haven't met." I'm not sure what that shirt was printed for, but I think it absolutely applies to the kind of community we have here. I love seeing people walk in the door every Monday night as they are greeted by leaders and friends. We introduce one another and make sure people are known. KCraig has started an awesome project, asking our kids to write about how YL camp impacted them this summer and then posting their stories. Today she posted a story from our friend Sherisa that we met just last year. I loved it so much that I wanted to share it again here.



“To be completely honest, I am totally new to this whole faith thing.
I grew up in a very secular household, where Christmas and Easter were celebrated as the commercialized holidays they’ve become. My parents had always instilled in my sisters and me respect for any and all religious beliefs, but they shied away from belonging to one specific faith, and because of that, religion had never played a big role in my life.
As I got older, I attempted to figure out my own spiritual beliefs. I went to church a couple times with my friends, and yet every time, I returned disappointed. I expected to have some indication of what exactly I believed in, but whenever I attended church, I came back more confused. The whole ordeal was formal and cold to me, as I sat all dressed up between strangers, listening to someone drown on about stories I didn’t understand.
So, I went through most of my life without any concrete religious beliefs, and for the most part, I was fine with that.
That was until I reached high school. I went through a variety of unexpected challenges throughout my four years, and during them, I found myself unexplainably turning to a god I knew so little about, asking for advice, guidance, and many times, for forgiveness.
I realized at that point that I was going to figure out my beliefs, instead of only reaching out to God halfheartedly in times of need.
At the urging of a friend, I started attending my community’s Young Life, and I don’t think I could’ve made a better first step in my religious journey. For the first time, I was presented with a view of Christianity that I felt welcome to discovering, enjoying, and practicing. The people I met through Young Life exemplified God’s unconditional love and emulated His understanding. Everyone was a friend at Young Life – you felt it the minute you walked in and were greeted warmly, whether it was your first time at Young Life or your hundredth.


After going to Young Life pretty regularly for a couple months, I signed up to be on the waiting list for attending camp, and as God willed it, last minute I was given the opportunity to go.
It feels like a huge disservice to limit the impact of camp to only what words can convey because camp was indescribable.
From sharing meals family-style, to cheering each other on during cabin activities, to singing passionately at Club, to breaking down barriers during cabin talk, every second of camp was filled with God’s presence, as we attempted to mirror his limitless love, understanding, and acceptance. I felt Him working through the girls in my cabin, girls I had only met that week, as they opened up their battle wounds, put their scars on display, and trusted me to carry their burdens with them, so that we could walk together on this journey of life with Christ.
When we gather in presence of God, to love Him and give Him the glory He deserves, it allows us to be open to His workings, and because of that, after one week at camp, I have formed some of the strongest relationships I’ve ever had with the girls in my cabin.

Most importantly, though, thanks to Young Life and my experience at camp, I realize that God doesn’t simply provide you with what you thought was missing in your life, He doesn’t simply fulfill the emptiness; instead, God overflows life with strength, comfort, love, and compassion in volumes you never thought possible.”

No comments:

Post a Comment