Wednesday, August 6, 2014

"Girls you need to get dressed and stop crawling around on the floor like animals."

We used Kid President's Pep Talk video a lot in devotions this summer. We asked our campers, "What's your Space Jam?" or essentially, "What has God called you to do?" I think that being a counselor is one of my Space Jams and this camp life is woven through the story of my life.


There are days when I'm really tired, like today I totally did not want to get up from rest hour. And there are days when I simply can't answer any more questions that have already been answered. I'm not perfect at this. But I'm not called to be perfect. I'm called to love these kids. And I'll do my best at that every single day.


It's the small moments that make a day at camp really special. Walking and talking with Margaret after chapel. Laughing will Lilli about something really fun she just said. Finding Arielle and Fiona in the hallway when I get back from my night off and sitting down to talk with them. Those are the moments I'll remember.



I'm thankful for Wolf Shirt Wednesdays that are completely normal in their ridiculousness. I'm thankful for snapback hats and best friend necklaces and nike shorts-- all the things I wish I could wear all year long when I'm a teacher. I'm thankful that Molly and Mary Cate can be two of my great friends because everyone can be your friend here. 


I'm so thankful for two summers of being partners with Ellyn and traditions like taking daily pics together. I love her stories, how much she loves her new YL wolf tank and that she is easily the Miss Congeniality of Tecumseh.


I love girls like Erin, Lauren and Mia. We might only be here together for one week, but when they're here they're like family to me and their counselors. Bonds made at camp are extra special ones.


There is something so cool about looking around camp and seeing counselors with their campers. Every week we're randomly given 10 children and told to take care of them, keep them safe and love them. Sometimes that's really easy and sometimes it feels like work. But we believe that every kid deserves this week to be awesome and to feel loved by us. I get the privilege of watching counselors do that all around me.


I'm so thankful that this is the family I'm ending the summer with-- Arielle, Ellyn, Kylie, Gracie, Valentina, Fiona, Lilli, Sally, Mary Kate, Lauren and Grace. They're a crazy, fun, energetic bunch and we love them. Heck, I'd even wake them up in the middle of the night with donuts.


Today we got to celebrate Llama by making him walk the plank. The pool is his place so it was sweet to get to make him jump off the high dive in all his clothes.


Nurse Holly walked the plank too!


I was on top of the water slide today during swim time so I had the perfect viewing spot of the whole pool. I watched my girls Meg, Valentina and Sally all jump off the diving boards.


One of the coolest things to witness during swim time is when a kid faces their fear of jumping off the diving board. Jacob was up on top of the platform for a really long time today while his counselor Brad sat on the end and encouraged him. "You can do this. I believe in you. I'm proud of you whether you jump off or not. Look at all these people cheering for you, they know you can do it." Jacob didn't end up jumping off today but we celebrated that he tried. Maybe he'll end up jumping later this week.



Tonight was my last night off of the summer--that's crazy. I ate dinner with friends and then we went to the Java Roster downtown where a bunch of counselors were playing music tonight. A handful of guys brought their instruments along-- keyboard, guitar, banjo, ukulele, box drum-- to play while the rest of us all sang along. It was such a cool songfest and jam session.


I loved that our bosses Joel and Tom were there with their wives Renee and Katrina-- it was their idea and they are intentional about creating culture. It was a sweet group of counselors and I'm so glad this is how the summer ended.


When I got back to Choctaw Annabelle was waiting for me on my bed with a note. "Dear Sarah, I have dog. Don't worry he is in good hands!!! First you need to look under your hat. -From Annabelle."


On top of my drawers I found note two, "Dog isn't swimming under the "C" but you will find a clue there."


Our cabin poster with a HUGE C is taped on the wall by Arielle's bed. I found the next clue there, "Dog has been snacking on Ellyn's favorite treat all night long. Look there next!"


By the nerd rope art from Olivia Kinsella I found, "Dog gets lonely at night and wanted to sleep with a sleep talker."


I knew right away that dog would be snuggling with Mary Cate and I was right. I put dog back in my bed and left Annabelle in his place. I'm sure Mary Cate will be happy to see her when she wakes up.


No comments:

Post a Comment