Monday, August 17, 2015

"How do we fix this?! Can we call in Dave and Beth for back up?"


I'm slowly becoming more acclimated to life in the real world again after living in Choctaw, the Party Room and River Village all summer at Tecumseh. Finally putting everything up by my desk at school today helps. This Keep Exploring flag hung in the window of the Longhouse all summer--unless we were taking it on adventures. I'm in love with the big new signs over my desk and the pictures of the people who mean so much to me. 


Eating with people at every single meal is one of my favorite parts of being a camp counselor. All of CILTs, or the Choctaw girls, or the Teton gal pals gather around a table together to talk as we devour baked oatmeal or pizza calzones. Meals look a little different now... breakfast is usually on the way to school, lunch is in the teacher's lounge and if I'm lucky, dinner is with some friends like tonight. I sat with Katy P, Rachel, Hope and Julia tonight as they told stories of collapsed desks, going back to school and summer adventures. I'm so thankful for time around the table with these people. 



Young Life is back in full swing. Showing up at the barn on Monday nights is one of my favorite rhythms of the week. Leaders show up for time together first-- you walk into the upper room and see friends like Jackie, the Tharps, Beesley, Ryan and KCraig, Mike Feldman, Scott Perry. We're all growing in friendships as we lead together and I love this family. Then we go downstairs to greet the kids, sing together and spend time in small groups. It's the best. 


Do you know what's kind of funny? I was talking to Hannah Conrad tonight on my way home and telling her about how the small group I was with in the cubby room was completely different than who we met with last year. The old Seniors are all off at college now. My old Sophomore girls will be here but were at sports tonight. So KCraig, Mackenzie and I sat in a circle of mostly Freshmen girls, a couple Sophomores and a Senior. And it was awesome.


Tonight Scott Perry came up with our lesson about how we use and invest in our time-- for heavenly or earthly things. "A man reaps what he sows. Let us not become weary in doing good. For we will reap a harvest at the proper time if we do not give up in doing good. Then your reward will be great, you'll be children of the most high." Sowing and reaping are farming words-- you sow the seed in the field and then you reap the harvest at the end of the season. What are you sowing?

Jesus says, "Look I am coming soon. My reward is with me. I will give each person what he deserves." We talked about what we're longing for-- is it more peace, joy, love, being fully accepted, health, comfort, grace, mercy, friendship, abundant life.

Scott told us that his driving motivation is that he longs to stand before God one day and hear him say, "Well done my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful with small things, so now I will put you in charge of large things. Come and share your father's happiness." Where are you looking-- a few hours ahead, a few years ahead or towards all of eternity?

No comments:

Post a Comment