Thursday, September 17, 2015

"I got your letter! But I'm going to open it tomorrow morning cause I know it will put a smile on my face."

Today was a very big day in the world of FBC. For the first time ever, the girls got to make Best Friend Necklaces. Hopefully they'll show up in the halls on a regular basis and become a regular accessory at Wyld Life Club. They remind me of camp when I see them and that's always a great thing. 


This year's Varsity FBC shirts arrived yesterday and I was so excited to rip open the box and then pass them out today.


Kim, Tori, Grace, Emily, Olivia, Grace and Sar represented the Varsity squad at FBC this afternoon coming from both the Clubhouse and HSJH. We've got a few more girls here at our school, a crew over at HSE High School and then the rest of our Varsity friends are spread out all across Indiana and Illinois.


Last year some of the Varsity girls wrote down the official requirements for being a member of Varsity FBC:

1. Complete at least four complicated bracelets a month
2. Do the hardcore on every bracelet
3. Know how to read and follow patterns
4. Make Earthquakes, 5 Braids and other patterns that require at least 14 strings or more
5. Never keep a bracelet you've made


Once upon a time I didn't know if Friendship Bracelet Club would be a total success or fail. Now we're in year two of have a Varsity crew. It's hilarious and awesome and ridiculous all at the same time. This year I've already had several girls ask what they have to do to join Varsity--it's kind of a big deal.


Even when my days are crazy and stressful, I'm thankful for afternoons when I get to hang out with these kids and be more of a camp counselor than a teacher. Love kids like Emily Babb, Grace and Emily who bring so much joy and enthusiasm to school every day.


Now FBC all has Best Friend Necklaces, the Varsity shirts are passed out or in the mail and we're slowly making friendship bracelets part of the culture of the Clubhouse.


Best ending to the day-- getting to hang out and go to dinner with Brookie. She's been one of my favorite people for four years now and someone that I always wish I had more time with. I love her laughter, her heart, her honesty and how we never run out of things to talk about. She's a rock star.


Honorable Blog Mention:
"We are supposed to 'shoot hoops' and 'hang out' and I don't do either of those things very well."

No comments:

Post a Comment