Monday, September 14, 2015

"You have a voice like a fleece blanket."

Sometimes you just need some ice-cream after school. With the whole Junior High split this year I consider myself pretty luck that I ended up in the same place as Syd and Grace. These two girls were main characters of my year last year and I'm so thankful for both of them. I love that they're still so silly and I'm grateful for the times when we get to talk about real life together. 




Tonight Young Life was a little bit different. Rather than our traditional songs/announcements/small groups/talking night, we did something way more silent. Ryan planned a night when we could just Be.

One of my favorite Hope College chapel traditions was a Be chapel every semester. The students would fill the pews and aisles like normal, someone would be playing piano or guitar on stage, but then there would be no lesson, no teaching. There was just time to Be. Sometimes we need that sacred, silent space.

Tonight when we had the freedom to just Be for 30 minutes on the Barn property I went for a walk in the field at the top of the hill. I noticed how after you're quiet for awhile the silence can be almost deafening and how even though I have to focus on it, deep breaths are so good for you.

"Now the Earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters." Genesis 1:2

"The Lord will fight for you while you keep still." Exodus 14:14

"The Jesus said, "Let's go off by ourselves to a quiet place and rest awhile." He said this because there were so many people coming and going that Jesus and his apostles didn't even have time to eat." Mark 6:31

Want to know something I'm really excited about? Haleigh and I first met when she was in my class as a 7th grader in 2010. Now she's a Senior and I don't even want to start thinking about her leaving at the end of this year. But first we get to do something really cool together. Haleigh is going to be a cadet teacher in my class. She starts later this week and I can't wait to see her meet, get to know and teach my kids. She's going to be fantastic.


No comments:

Post a Comment