Tuesday, October 28, 2014

"I love this! I love researching women who shaped history and science today. They're so underrated."

Glennon Doyle Melton is one of my favorite people and authors-- she's a writer of the truth and cheerleader extreme. I want to be real life friends with this woman. I'm giving her a friendship bracelet later this week so you never know, it could happen.

Today she wrote on her blob Momastery about one of her old teachers, you really should read the whole thing, but I just had to share part of it...

Most people who have a deep desire for lives of meaning and purpose and love are the kind of people who already have lives of meaning and purpose and love.
Just for a moment today- put on your perspectacles and look at your own life. You’ve probably got someone to love, some good work to do, some people who count on you, something beautiful to look at. If you have all that and a little bit of chocolate, too- you’ve already got it all.
That’s it, you guys. Life need get no “bigger” than that.
Don’t become so concerned with creating a life of meaning that you forget you already have one.
Because What if Your Life is Already The Best Thing?

Today after school I got to have a coffee date with my friend Cassidy. She's a Senior at HSE and just started coming to YL this year. She's been in my small group at Campaigners and we've hung out with her friends, but I really wanted to get to know her individually. So today we sat across a table with a vanilla latte and salted caramel mocha and talked about life. These conversations are one of the very best parts of being a YL leader. 

This Monday night we gathered at the Barn for YL Club. Once a month instead of Campaigners we dress up and go crazy at Club. Tonight's theme was Heroes and Villains

Usually Brooke can't come to YL because she has cheer or softball during this time. So I was thrilled when I walked down the stairs tonight and found her in the middle of the gym. My actual words were something like, "SHUT UP! BROOKE! OH MY GOSH!" and then I attacked her as she just laughed. I love when Brooke, Julia and Olivia all get to be here at the same time.


We had all sorts of super heroes and villains show up at YL Club tonight. We love our whole YL family of kids and leaders that gathers together in this space and outside of this walls. I love that as a leader I get to know my girls and pour into their lives. At the same time, there are a dozen other leaders spending time with their kids and building them up. It takes a village.



I was on the microphone explaining a game when I saw my friend Hannah, a Senior, walk into the room. I stopped for a second and got such a big smile on my face because I was so excited she was there. These HS kids really do become our friends and our people. Jesus calls us to invest in each other, to carry one another's burdens and rejoice in each other's triumphs. It's an honor to get to do that.


Tonight during Club we sang "I Can Be Your Hero," guessed identities on our backs and played a gigantic game of knock out. On Club nights we just get to play together. It's so different than school or any other kind of meeting.


On nights when we have Campaigners I barely get to see the kids who aren't in my group. But tonight I got to hang out with Liz Huston, Haleigh Devoe and Alli King. I got to see the HS kids be awesome with special friends like Gracie who came tonight. I got to see leaders engage with their kids when normally we'd all be split up.


Eight kids got called up for Egg Roulette. Some of the eggs were hard boiled and it was all luck of the draw. Two raw eggs smashed on your forehead and you were out. Jake Conrad reigned victorious.



Something I love about HSE YL is that we break up into small groups after the Club talk. Our kids love this time of conversation and diving deep so we make it a priority even when we're not in Campaigners. After Kocher's Club Talk about God being the ultimate hero tonight, we talked about our heroes and the people who look up to us. We thought back on her stories of the men thrown in the firey pit and of Jesus being tempted by the devil. Over and over again God is the hero in seemingly impossible situations. We know that he is the one that we can draw our strength from even when it may seem difficult.


Today was a great day. Glennon's post said, "Don't be so concerned with creating a life of meaning that you forget you already have one." Right now I feel like the things I get to do every day are pretty meaningful and I'm not taking that for granted.


No comments:

Post a Comment