Thursday, October 16, 2014

"The moon is a little too bright today and I gassed a spider in the shower so my sensei says no pickles for me today."

My kids each wrote a "Top 10 Ways I Can Make the World A Better Place" list. These are some of my favorite ideas...

Things We Can Do To Make The World A Better Place:

  1. Use solar panels
  2. Spit your gum into the trash
  3. Respect pets
  4. Don't be a hater
  5. Go to the bathroom when you need to
  6. Fill in all the blanks on worksheets
  7. Don't let your eyes roll around your head
  8. Be spontaneous
  9. Keep it clean (both your body and the planet we live on)
  10. Give people a 2nd (or 3rd) chance
  11. Don't take pictures of people if they don't want you to
  12. Recycle kind words
  13. Don't make other people feel bad just because you feel bad
  14. Give your 170% every day
  15. Don't post rude stuff about people
  16. Bike on the sidewalk, not the road
  17. Say sorry, even if it wasn't your fault
  18. Say "shhhh" instead of "shut up"
  19. Don't kill species
  20. Expect nothing in return

Sometimes being a teacher is exhausting. Some days I'm ready to peace out when the bell rings at 2:45, but on Thursdays I don't leave the building. On Thursdays I walk down the hall with a box packed with string, scissors and tape to meet the Friendship Bracelet girls.


Today I sat at a table with a group of 7th and 8th grade girls. I helped them as they started diamond bracelets and raced Elise Ruby as we both worked on squares. Isaiah came for the first time and told us so many stories. Hope and Katy showed up with lots of enthusiasm (p.s. Katy can drive now). I'm getting to know the younger girls and I love getting to spend time with my 8th graders. FBC is one of my favorite parts of HSJH.


When FBC finished, Maddie and I went outside to find Katy and Hope flying a Spiderman kite in the parking lot. Of course we joined in. There was spectacular kite-flying-wind just above our heads this afternoon. All of the parents in the pick up line did a double take at our fun.


I went to the last HS volleyball games of the year tonight. My favorite Fall sport, after cross country of course, has become volleyball in recent years. I've spent so many evenings in the stands cheering on 7th-12th grade players this year. I will miss getting to watch them play so well as a team. I'll miss sitting in the stands with other spectators like Julia and Hannah, KCraig, Mrs. Washburn, the Freshmen team after they finish, and the blue crew at Varsity games. Until next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment