Monday, October 20, 2014

"You're not working on a bracelet, that's weirding me out."

A new pile of friendship bracelets has been added to the stockpile. It's fun to look back at all of these different patterns I've made in the last month and see them all side by side. I get excited thinking the people I'll give them to this summer at camp. As soon as the Tecumseh stockpile is full I'll start giving them out to people at YL and HSJH. 



One of the questions we discussed tonight was, "What is the most effective way for you to share your faith?" We talked about it as leaders first and then dove into the idea with our small groups. I think my answer is influenced by my years as a camper and counselor, this season in Young Life and so many years as a reader. For me, faith is shared most effectively through relationships and stories.


In college I learned so much about following Christ and shining his light by talking with my friend Lani. We'd meet for coffee once a week and drink our latte and hot chocolate across the table from one another or side by side as we walked 8th St. Lani's stories and life were a living example of what it meant to be a Christian.


Being friends with Sarah Battaglia, the Houghtons, Sarah Mooney and Kathy Craig has impacted the way I see and relate to Jesus. Their faithfulness to Him has taught me so much about the kind of Christian I want to be. These are people that follow God all week long--not just when they're sitting in church on Sunday morning. Their stories, their friendships, their lives teach me.


I've been going to church my whole life. Sunday sermons and pastor's teachings have made my foundation strong. I don't mean to discredit places like Delphi UMC, Mars Hill and Common Ground that have taught me so much. But I think it's individual people that have really taught me the most. So when I think about how I'll share my faith I know that I'll use relationships and stories because that's what has worked for me.


Tonight was a really good night. Tonight I got to hang out with other leaders and eat pizza and talk about Jesus and our kids. Then I went downstairs to the gym and greeted girls I haven't seen in weeks, brand new friends and YL kids that are such a staple here. This isn't a place where we keep track of perfect attendance--we just want you to feel welcome. Because you are invited and you belong.



I'm so thankful for how my friendships with my Young Life girls continually evolve. I love that Julia is so authentically herself. I'm glad that Hannah and Cassidy have become great friends of mine and I get to keep watching them grow in their faith. I love that even though Pidgeon and I are rarely ever in the same small group we still just love each other. I'm so glad I got to meet Charity for the first time tonight and hope that she'll come back again. I'm thankful that Young Life is all about relationships and stories and pointing each other back to Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment