Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Young Life Stories

In honor of Young Life's birthday today I wanted to create a collection of stories. The short memories and thoughts below come from volunteer leaders, HS kids, YL alumni, Jr High kids, and YL staff. There are people from Holland, MI, Carmel, IN and Fishers, IN represented. Together, these stories paint a picture of what makes YL so beautiful, powerful and influential.


My first experience of Club at Sharp Top Cove was one summer ago. There was an explosion of energy and excitement. It became my working definition of living life to the full. -Megan Onderjack

I was talking to friends in line for the giant swing and I wasn't planning on going on it. But then one of the Carmel Capernum kids came up to me and was like, "You're coming on the swing with me right?" I couldn't say no and I was terrified. The whole way up he just said, "It's ok Mitch, it'll be fun Mitch." That's when I realized our school needs Capernum too. -Mitch Rankin

At Camp this summer my leader and our cabin walked around saying our chant everywhere we went, "A snail, some mud, an umbrella and forward, backward, sideways march!" It was just really funny and everyone wanted us to teach it to them. -Kendal Davis


As much of a pain as it was to get the paint out of my ears, I loved when Hannah Conrad made it her personal mission to make me the most colorful person at the paint war. Her face when I turned around and saw her was priceless. It's so fun to have that kind of joking, fun and cool relationship with an athlete, friend and student. -Alex Kocher

Walking alongside a group of girls for the past three years has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I can't imagine a summer without going to camp with them anymore. They have blessed my life in more ways than I can count. -Hannah Blachly

The cardboard testimonies at Campaigners is something I will never forget. Being able to see people that I see every day at school open up their struggles to all of us really touched me. It let me see how much Christ has impacted the lives of people around me. -Hannah Schank


When we sing songs at the start of YL Club it gets every one in the best mood. At that moment no one has to worry about fighting or bullying. We are all just one big group of friends singing songs together. -Elyse Dawley

My all time favorite part of being a leader is getting to be a kid with all of the kids and growing in Christ together. Two summers ago on a one on one at camp one of my girls said, "It's time you pee outside." In life we all learn from each other. -Lori Trulock

One time I couldn't make it to Campaigners when everyone was writing love tanks. I texted my leader because I was really sad I had missed out. But she had written me a note anyways and sent me a picture of it. I was almost in tears it was so sweet and thoughtful. -Kara Sanders


My favorite memory from all of my YL camp trips is always cabin time. Each one has a different place in my heart and makes me love each and every one of the girls more and more. It gives people the chance to open up about life and it always gets extremely deep. -Brooke Barnes

At United Center in Chicago with Jack's YL leaders for a Springsteen show. And our former YL kids, now leaders and current kids, surprised us by sneaking into the show through some "back door." Adventure, surprise, joy and commitment to deep community as we pursue kids. -Linda Nickevich

After being a leader in college I thought I was done with YL. So it was a surprise when I got pulled into Carmel Young Life when I moved back to Indiana. That next year I got the privilege to become a leader to a group of Senior girls and get especially close with Taylor, Allison, Susan and Dom. Those girls taught me so much that year about beauty, joy, adventure, relationships and living life to the full. Late night conversations, road trips to ski weekend, dance parties, blading and biking and so many hours collaging with those girls convinced me that my time in Young Life was just beginning. -Sarah Wright


Young Life is an amazing experience where you get to be with all the people you love and learn about God while you play fun games and sing songs. I have made so many new friends from YL that are now a big part of my life. -Sydney Lorey

I love listening to the inspirational Wyld Life messages at Club. -Liza Goodnight

The Cardboard Testimonies night was so powerful. No one was afraid to pour their heart out. I am so happy I got to be there for that. -Olivia Kegley


I love that we are a family. No matter what is going on we are always there for each other and I always feel like I'm at home. -Bailee Paul

Everyone is loved and wanted at Young Life. At camp this summer I had the chance to be with amazing people as I learned a lot and made so many new friends. -Lily Betner

On the way back from camp this summer I slept on the floor of the bus. It's something I never thought I would do, but I was exhausted from camp and so comfortable with all the people around me that I didn't care! -Grace Dittoe


The first time Ryan sang his song "Love That Don't Run Out" at Campaigners this year he got everyone to sing along even though no one knew the words. It showed the love in the room and how everyone could join together. -Blaire Trusty

I will never forget the moment I walked through the doors the first time I came to YL. I was instantly welcomed and felt so much love from the second I came into the room. I was surrounded by smiling face and warming hugs. That's when I realized that YL is my home and that the people involved are my family. -Katie Beegle


I think it's cool how everyone just comes together to listen and advise each other when we split into small groups at Campaigners. It's like one big, or I guess small, happy family all there for each other and celebrating God's greatness. -Kali Chemelewski

At the first Club at Michindoh this summer my cabin sang together as loud as we could while we were all dancing together. I also loved when we could just share about our lives and get closer to God during cabin time. -Riley Leech

I love having a friendly and open environment where I can count on never leaving without a smile and feeling more positive about the week. I go every week to learn about God and grow closer to him. -Kaylee Papp


Last year at Sharp Top the guys in my cabin gathered around and shared their "real life" story. We each learned more about each other than we ever though we would know. Overall, it was God acting through us to strengthen our friend group. After each story tearful hugs were shared and I can honestly say it was the best night of most of our lives. -Jacob Everidge

Praying for a group of girls to go on Wilderness and God actually piecing it together. -Dom Laughlin


One of my favorite YL memories is when I went to an old YL girl's graduation open house. I had been praying for her and reaching out to her for two years with almost zero communication on her end. Then she invited me to her open house. When I got there, she gave me a big hug and thanked me for loving her, "even when she didn't think she deserved to be loved." That's why I do YL. -Mary Ellen McIntyre

My favorite thing at Michindoh was having my one on one with Miss Wright. I loved getting all my feelings out about stuff that I couldn't tell anyone. It helped a lot and I can't wait to have another one on one at camp next year. -Jordan Beckius


I remember one time Natalie and I dressed in turtle necks, leggings, shorts and high socks and tied huge sea animal stuffed animals on our heads. We brought the leaders cookies and brownies that looked like poop to your leadership meeting. You all didn't know who we were at first because we had our faces covered. I still laugh about it every time I think about it. -Audrey Renshaw

I can always count on Wyld Life Camp at Michindoh to be a blast. It was definitely a major highlight of my summer. -Madison Schwartz

Young Life changed my life. Now I have a very strong connection and friendship with Jesus. It is the most powerful feeling I have ever felt and the best thing that has ever happened to me. -Sophie Sams


There was a night at Sharp Top Cover, during cabin time, when I felt God's presence around me for the first time. Throughout the five hours of deep talks and tears shed, truth came out about my closest friends. I had never felt so close with my friends, leaders, or God before in my life. -Brian Gradison

The night I accepted God into my life. I was lying outside during our 20 minutes at camp. I was questioning if God was really real or not and if this was something I really wanted in my life. I was looking at the sky and suddenly saw a little light behind the trees. I believe that was God telling me that he was real and that he had a plan for me. -Jenna Houterloot


I have become closer to God and learned so much more about him. Wyld Life always makes my day better--it gets everything off my mind. I can just think and no one is there to judge me. I love that my parents and brothers are all involved in Young Life too. -Natalie Cefali

I love going into YL every Monday and feeling nothing but love from everyone in the room. I don't have to worry about anything else going on in my life the entire time I am there. -Cassidy Leum

I remember Sydney and I had to go up for a game one time. The challenge was to see how many wooden clothespins you could keep on each other's faces. We figured out that the nose, mouth and eyebrows were the best places to put the clips and the action shot of us was prime. -Cecilia Vigren


Work Crew--all of it! you build the best friendships through hard work, each other's stories and the most laughter. -Lauren Depree

I loved singing songs with my closest friends and listening to Ryan play the guitar. I liked bonding with so many different people in our community. It felt like God brought us closer together and I could count on them whenever I needed to. -Malena Bruno

Young Life Paint Wars were the highlight of it all, but I loved being able to get real and talk about God with a group of girls who also went to my school. -Ellyn Hessong


My favorite moments was Cardboard Testimonies because although it was more serious, it made me realize how much YL has impacted my life and strengthened my relationship with God. I have changed so much as a person and as a follower of Christ. -Mallory Watson

I love sitting in a circle in a cabin at camp with all of my best friends and talking about living a life with Christ. -Alison Bell

I've loved seeing the transformation and growth in our family of leaders, kids, committee and donors over the past year. Knowing that God is constantly and faithfully working in our lives is uplifting and awesome to me. He is on the move within this community. -Ryan Ahlwardt


The Paint War was the best. Not only was it fun just getting to coat everyone with paint, but Mrs. Craig's message was important and helpful to me. She talked about how she didn't grow up going to church and never felt connected with God. But it took just one person in college that changed everything. He taught her that church and God weren't things to be afraid of. That talk made me more comfortable with God. Now I know he's my friend and someone I can count on. -Linnea Martin

I loved the night at Campaigners when we had bags with our names on them. We wrote notes about what we like about others. When I got home and looked at what others had said to me it definitely put a smile on my face. -Morgan Harris


One of my favorite moments was the last day of Michindoh with Brooke and Erin. I hadn't known Brooke before that week, and the three of us spent the whole day together laughing, being real and sharing our stories with one another. They are two of my best friends now. Young Life just builds those relationships so wonderfully through Christ. -Julia Dewolf

Two summers ago at Sharp Top there was a flash flood in the middle of the night that washed out the lake and made camp lose power and water for a day. Last winter at Timber Wolf a blizzard crept in and forced us to cut our trip in half. The busses for our Wyld Life lock out didn't show up last Fall. On the way home from Sharp Top this summer one of our busses broke down at a gas station. But you know what, none of those things wrecked any kid's experience. In all of those experiences God showed up and he was glorified. I've seen over and over again that nothing can get in the way of the plans he has for these kids' lives.  -Sarah Wright


When you leave Sharp Top the bus winds through the most twisty mountain roads you've ever seen in your life. Sarah Wright and I were motion sick in the front two seats of the bus, close to death. We ended up barfing together... in the same bag... It was gross and amazing at the same time. -KCraig

Brannt had just moved from Texas and started coming to YL before his birthday. He thought that he'd spend the night at home since he was new, but we had a better plan. A group of leaders and kids actually kidnapped Brannt from his house, with the help of his sister, and then took him laser tagging and to Steak n' Shake. He never saw it coming. -JD Harrison


Early one morning Abby and Ryan Robertson, Ryan Ahlwardt and I went to wake up kids before their alarms went off. We had Slumber Party Club coming up and wanted to use the footage in Club. We talked with parents the night before and surprised both Olivia Kegley and Mark Skelton. They were still asleep in bed, totally unaware, when we came in singing, "Bless the Lord oh my soul!" at the top of our lungs and shining our flashlights around the room. Between the four leaders we had a guitar, child's keyboard, pot and spoon, and a recorder. The kids were totally freaked out. Mark hid under the covers. Olivia smiled through sleepy eyes. Both kids were wearing their retainers. -Sarah Wright

Roller blading on the Monon for 26.3 miles with my leader Sarah. Doing life, real and long and not the most fun at times but super real. -Taylor Porter

ONe of my favorite memories from YL was when I got to share my cardboard testimony at the HSE YL Banquet with other High Schoolers and leaders. We got to share how Christ transformed our lives to an audience of parents. It was a very humbling and moving experience. -Haleigh Devoe


I love being able to see YL ministries that are impacting hundreds of kids and vividly remembering the first conversation about the dream of starting YL in that community. I am particularly proud and blessed to be a small part of ministries that serve small town, urban, suburban, teen moms, kids with special needs, Latino kids and more. I cried hard last Friday after leaving a funeral of an 84 year old man. When John Craig was asked what his most significant accomplishment was and he said, "Starting YL in Noblesville," which he did as a 78 year old. Michael Redding spoke at his funeral and I was so proud of who he has become. -Jon Houghton

Peaking a mountain with some beautiful, inspiring, true-to-themselves, God-loving individuals who offered up words of encouragement to me even though they were struggling during that hike. Getting to the top and rejoicing with those YL girls was a moment I'll never forget. The view wasn't too shabby either. -Emily Westcott

Young Life and my leader Summer taught me that Jesus and faith are real and are not meant to just be one part of my life, but to be the thing the parts of my life are centered around. -Sarah Mooney


I loved when I got to do an activity at Cat Club. I couldn't use my hands and I had to get chocolate chunks out of a bowl of oats with my mouth and then spit it into a bucket. The chocolate was supposed to be cat poop and the oats were kitty litter. -Maggie Lorenz

I never used to be able to go to Wyld Life Club because of sports and everyone was always talking about how fun it was. I wanted to go so badly! My first one was Jersey Club in 2013 and two minutes after being there I said, "When can I come back?!" -Taylor Pozzebon


My first Fall Camp at Timber Wolf was the best. I had never been to a YL event before and the whole trip went beyond my expectations. I made memories and friendships that will last forever. -Maddie Schath

My favorite YL memories are those that involve my leaders. Hearing the love and wisdom in their words has been a crucial part of my YL experience. I love how much they radiate the love of God and inspire me to do the same. -Haley Renschen

I love the Club Talk. It is always a time to share what you have been holding in for a long time and knowing you can trust the people you are telling it to. YL is something I can always look forward to. -Julia Patras


The first time I took HSE 8th grade girls to Wyld Life Camp was one of the best weeks of my life. I'd been praying for YL to start in HSE for years and this was the first big thing. My one on one conversations with the girls in that cabin were so special to me because I got to listen to what was going on in their lives and tell them more about this God that loved them so much. -Sarah Wright

On the last day of camp they asked everyone that had accepted Christ that week to stand up. Then they all said their name and where they were from. I thought it was awesome to see and it made me tear up. -Mariah Triske

Two years ago at camp I got to have a one on one with Sarah. I could open up to her and tell her anything and knew she would be there for me. It brought me so much closer to God and Sarah. I had so many questions that she helped answer and explain. I was really happy to have someone there for comfort and support. -Alana Shea


I loved having a time to forget all of the things going on with school and friends every week at Young LIfe. I got to be around people who supported and cared about what I had to say. -Maddy Wilson

On Wilderness our group was the first girls' group ever to eat all the food. On the last lunch we had these nasty bean burritos and there were two left and we wanted to eat all the food sooooo bad. So my friend Sarah and I volunteered to eat them. There's a video and we're crying because they're so nasty. We went down in Wilderness Ranch history for eating all the food. -Rachel Davis


I loved getting to know new people and be with my friends at Wyld Life camp. It was such an awesome time and I made great memories. I can't wait for next year. -Kate Jones

My favorite Young Life memory was at camp over the summer when I met my true love, Tim Halperin. -Samantha Fox

My favorite moment was the first time kids referred to me as "My Young Life leader Mike." It made me feel so proud to make an impact and know that I was finally a part of their lives. -Michael Kraft


I remember at Wyld Life Camp when we had a talent show. All of the 7th grade girls made up an awesome dance number together. It was so much fun. -Maddie Halkyard

During Fall Weekend at Timber Wolf our cabin was playing, "If you really knew me you would know..." After the game and all of the tears our entire cabin became much better friends. Two years later I'm still friends with all of them. -Carly Peterson

At Michindoh I loved when everyone was in the big club room singing. We were all so loud and dancing and it was super fun. -Meric Haase


When we went to Sharp Top my life was changed when we sat outside silently, in the mountains, talking to God. I know that was the closest I have ever felt to Him. It was the first time I sensed him speaking back to me. Those 20 minutes will live with me for the rest of my life. -Anne Kleinrichert

The bus broke down after camp on our way back home at about midnight. We were all sitting around the parking lot and Megan and KCraig started talking. Megan told her how much she meant to her and then they started talking about camp and one on ones and then they started crying. It just really touched me. It reminded me how special YL really is and how much of a difference it makes in so many people's lives. Just thinking about that moment in the parking lot makes me so happy. -Erin King


The paint war. Just getting messy and not worrying about who was watching. It was awesome to feel that comfortable with a bunch of friends who love you. -Sam Bunes

I love how it is all about God and fun. I didn't really have a good relationship with God until YL. It helps me connect. I love the small groups and when we all get to talk. -Scotlyn Mieling

I remember going the very first time and winning a CD at Club during the raffle which made me come back. Club is definitely a great time, but now I look forward to Campaigners to grow closer to God and those around me. Monday nights at YL are the best part of the week. -Leah Notar Donato


My first year at Wyld Life Camp was the best. I made so many new friends, became so much closer to God and got to know some amazing leaders. -Chloe Freund

Although camp was one of the most pivotal moments in my life, my favorite memory of YL would have to be the first time I went to Club. I didn't know what to expect but when I arrived every one was dancing and I just felt so happy and welcome. The leaders talked about God in such a way that it really made me change my views and make me want to start my relationship with him. -Kate Miles


Hearing and seeing everyone share their Cardboard Testimonies was inspirational. It really brought me closer to my friends. -Madison Cavanaugh

I used to wake up super early every week to go to breakfast at Jackie's Place with two of my leaders and a few of my friends. We loved our waitress, the special birthday song with the disco ball and using words like porous and vicarious. Those mornings sharing life together were the best. -Lauren Depree

Michindoh brought me so much closer with so many of my friends. It was undeniably one of the best experiences of my life. I can't wait to go back next year. -Cami Berman


At Camp feeling so welcomed and understood by hundreds of others all at once. -Kate Olthoff

Getting to see so many people be totally vulnerable during their cardboard testimonies. It was not easy to get up in front of everyone and show your true feelings, but in the end it was extremely inspirational and an amazing experience. -Natalie Mills

My first Wyld Life Club I had to dump my head in milk! -Lexi Jolly

My second year at Michindoh I was grouped with some girls that I wasn't that close to. I remember being nervous about opening up and getting deep during cabin talks. But as the week started, the openness and sharing became so real that I looked at all these girls that I had barely talked to before and saw them as family. That's what YL is. -Kaitlyn Ray


I love how we talk about the bible verse and lesson as a big group and then we get to break it down in smaller groups. It helps a lot to learn more about God when we talk about it with a few people. The lessons are always interesting to hear about and we get to learn from the leaders' past. -Sydney Green

One of my favorite moments is the quiet night at Sharp Top Cover when everyone at the whole camp was silent and talking to God at the same time. I really realized how amazing everything was around me. Everything just seemed to click. -Genna Thomas

My first time at YL was when my friend Mariah brought me. I felt really welcomed right away. At camp that summer Sophia gave me a bracelet she found in the sand and said it was a friendship bracelet. When I was packing for camp this year I found it again! -Sophia Lauck


My leaders are the reason why I come to Young Life. They inspire me so much I didn't even know it was possible to look up to a human as much as I look up to them. -Megan Cook

My favorite memories are all the Love Tanks we wrote. I loved that we all had the chance to tell people amazing things about them that we were maybe too afraid to say in person. Seeing everyone smiling after reading their notes made my day. -Hayley Williams


When my four best friends and I had a moment of deep connection at camp and we just put everything out on the table. Ever since then they have been like sisters to me. -Carly Rasmussen

Cabin time at the first Fall Weekend. Haleigh Devoe peed her pants laughing and it soaked through the carpet. -Natalie Brosius

My favorite thing is definitely Club at Michindoh. I love jamming with all my friends, the skits and then settling down to learn about God. -Liz Huston


One night at camp we went on the water slide at midnight. I was scared to go on it because I thought I was going to be freezing. I went on it so many times with all of my friends. It didn't matter that it was cold because it was the best night I've ever had. -Alaina Kerpsack

My counselor, Molly Cooper, and I were having my one on one while paddle boating. She told me what she had been through in life and told me that my life could be changed too through our Savior. -Abby Elsbury


Wyld Life is my favorite part of the week. The games are fun but my favorite part is talking in small groups about God. It's so great because no one is there to judge. You can just be yourself and open up. -Julia Washburn

We did a worm spitting challenge at club one week. A young life leader put a real worm in someone's mouth when the rest of the people had gummy worms. The kid still kept it in his mouth even when everyone was laughing so hard. -Elyse Dawley

I went to camp this summer for the first time. While Tim Halperin was singing the song "Dear Sophie" I turned around and looked at my YL leader. We made eye contact and we just connected and it was awesome. That week at camp every time they brought out a dessert our table would all shove back our chairs, stand up and then just dig in with our forks and spoons till the plate was clean. -Kara Sanders


Nick Cefali and I were partners for 'Merica Trivia. We buzzed in by throwing water bottles at our leader Todd. That's how Cefali and I met and now I love that boy. -Audrey Renshaw

I remember one Club Talk when Ryan told us how he sees God through so many things. He said he saw him through us and our smiles. That really stood out to me because just knowing that God is in you and other people see it is amazing. -Cecilia Vigren

No comments:

Post a Comment