Thursday, October 9, 2014

"My butt hurts. Probably because it's still growing."

Today's theme was the best executed I've ever seen. We celebrated Christmas right in the middle of October. Besides a large group of ugly Christmas sweaters, there was a group of matching elves and of course Santa and Mrs. Clause. They had a magical entrance into breakfast, Christmas music played at meals and there were festive songs played at the different activity spots. By dinner there was even a Christmas tree in the lodge.


It was a rainy morning so rock climbing got moved into Kampen Lodge. I stopped by to visit groups and some of my very favorite counselors were there.



It's fun seeing my students like Kiersten and Emma having so much fun and getting out of their comfort zone. Beesley's trash bag poncho turned into a trash bag skirt thing... more of a fashion statement than protection from the rain.


It was a cold and wet morning but instead of complaining about the rain everyone called it "liquid fun" instead. One group continued to chant, "Liquid fun! Liquid fun!" all morning.


Rec time after lunch was my favorite one we've ever had. I got to hang out with fun kids like Grace and Aubrey...


break out the jump rope with Jamie, watch kids get a group record of 38, have fun with girls like Sydney...


practice stunting with the squad...


talk with Grace, Rebecca and Skylar...


and be Varsity Friendship Braceleter twins with Julia. Great day. The rain passed and the rest of the afternoon was pretty dry.


Kieth got out the animals at the nature center so you know I was first in line to pick up the turtles and hold the snake Rosie. I was glad Natty B's group was there at the same time.



I went on a run all over camp in the afternoon. Stopping at Ghost Cabin, the Lake, and the OT to talk to different study groups before running away again.

Just Dance tonight was one of the best groups we've had all week. There was one girl that new every single lyric to every song we played. It was incredible.


The Young Life crew of counselors did a fabulous job in all the skits tonight. They adapted the movie theatre skit and a Drama Class skit we saw at Sharp Top this past summer.




The counselors all came back to the Longhouse for cookie cake and cupcakes. When I asked the woman at Wal-Mart to write "Merry Christmas" on one of the cakes she thought I was nuts.


It was really special to be a director of this program for the first time with this group of students. They're my very first 7th grade kids, FBC girls, YL people and they're at the end of HS. Saba, Natty, Peyton and the rest of them mean so much to me.


Two years ago when we first started YL in HSE and these guys just started being counselors we had six YL kids at camp.


In just this Session we had eighteen YL kids-- I love it. KCraig was here as a parent, Riley and Hannah came over from Purdue to visit and we had so many Wyld Life kids here. I love having my YL people at Tecumseh.


1 comment:

  1. I AM READING YOUR BLOG! I started with the current post, and read backwards to here :) Got to take a break from LivesOverlap now... but I am going to stay up to date! Love you, Sarah. Thanks for inspiring me to love people more!!

    ReplyDelete