Friday, May 7, 2010

The Happiness Project

"As I read I love to take notes- often for no apparent reason. I'm always marking up books, making odd lists, gathering examples in strange categories, copying passages. For some reason I like working on some permanent, undefined research project" -Gretchen Rubin

Yes, Gretchen wrote that but when I read it I said, "OH MY GOSH! That's me!" and then I wrote those three sentences down on my second sheet of notes for "The Happiness Project." The past two weeks I've been reading this book (I've got 11 pages left) and writing down my favorite ideas. Reading and taking notes about happiness makes me so much more aware of it in the people around me and my own attitude and outlook.

Tonight I got to hang out with my friend Grace. She is an expert on happiness. I have never heard her say an unkind word and she is always pointing out the positive side of things. I've been thinking about her a lot as I've been reading this book.




My favorite ideas...

The fun part doesn't come later, now is the fun part.

I think by knowing who we are as people and being ourselves, we can start making the world better.

I saw that there was value in taking time to play.

On sunny days I think "great" a good day to be outdoors and on grey days I think "great" a good day to be inside. It's all in your attitude. I choose to be happy in spite of whatever drama is going on in my life.

People's lives are far more complicated than they appear from the outside. Cut people slack.

Decide to do things because you enjoy it and want to do it- then you will be satisfied and not expecting praise or appreciation from others.

Happiness is a talent, not an object.

You realize that life is way too short NOT to follow your passion. So, that's what I do these days.

I have plenty of time for things that are important to me.

And in the words of Gretchen's daughter,
"You know what I was just thinking? I'm in the pool. It's summer. I'm seven years old. I'm wearing a very cute bathing suit and my grandmother is asking me if I want anything to eat or drink."...basically, could life get any better than this?

1 comment:

  1. Looks awesome, Sar. Just put a hold on it at the public library... I'm 24th in line. There must be a lot of people getting happier out there!

    ReplyDelete